Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Surf Board in bed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sh*t u have a long bed! A 7'6" would easily fit in the bed (diag of course). Get a board bag or just wrap towels around the nose and tail. I put a 6'4" in my short bed no problem - with a couple " to spare. Even if it moves around the plastic bed wont damage it. Btw I've taken the key in the water wrapped in a small zip lock bag but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
gman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant future

Name: Gary
gman424's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i know what you mean about the bags being a pain at times haha especially in the wind
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
anyone know if that grey key is okay to go in the water? i've got a key tie on my suit, but I want to make sure that key is water safe...

ive had my grey key in the water numerous times. my black key has gone in a couple times too. i dont see the difference between the 2 other than color. ive been using my grey key for the last couple of years and its done everything i need it to...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPtaco View Post
ive had my grey key in the water numerous times. my black key has gone in a couple times too. i dont see the difference between the 2 other than color. ive been using my grey key for the last couple of years and its done everything i need it to...
idk if there is any difference.. i like the look of the black more, but those have my keyless entries on their key ring...

i don't see any reason why i can't take the grey in the water..

i've got a good key loop on my swim suit so I shouldn't lose it
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #25
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
I've been piling boards in the back of trucks for years and haven't had an issue yet. If I have to go over a bridge or something, I just put a bungee cord across the top of them. But if you're worried about it, I'd say just get a board bag to keep it in. Probably cheaper than buying a rack and even more useful IMHO. Unless you're just wanting to rig up something cool in your bed then go for it!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorComa View Post
I've been piling boards in the back of trucks for years and haven't had an issue yet. If I have to go over a bridge or something, I just put a bungee cord across the top of them. But if you're worried about it, I'd say just get a board bag to keep it in. Probably cheaper than buying a rack and even more useful IMHO. Unless you're just wanting to rig up something cool in your bed then go for it!
rigging cool things in the bed is always a plus

I'm mostly just looking for a cheap convenient way, I wondered if anyone on here had anything unique..

racks are a little more than i'm probably going to go for..

bags are a little hard to work with, but still do the job nicely

idk, I've got plenty of ways to do it, but I'm always looking for a BETTER way to do everything haha
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
those thule racks look good, but maybe a little expensive for me ( i'm 17 )... if i could find used ones on the cheap side, i'd prolly go with that, but in the mean time I'm probably going to stick to building myself some kinda cross bar system or figuring out a good way to tie them down
I think your best bet would be a ladder rack. They are pretty cheap once they are used and they're sturdy as hell. It'll easily be able to carry those surf boards plus they'll be up and out of your bed so you can use the bed for other things such as gear or whatever.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #28
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPtaco View Post
Good to know! I didn't want to find out the hard way that it might fail.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
rigging cool things in the bed is always a plus

I'm mostly just looking for a cheap convenient way, I wondered if anyone on here had anything unique..

racks are a little more than i'm probably going to go for..

bags are a little hard to work with, but still do the job nicely

idk, I've got plenty of ways to do it, but I'm always looking for a BETTER way to do everything haha
Haha I understand completely. It's always fun to figure out something different and unique. So I say rig up something cheap, cool and convenient and then show it off! Is there a way you could use some kind of clips mounted to the bed that the boards would lock into? Might be a stupid idea, just trying to be creative (not one of my strong points haha)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
Check these out. He's actually a member on this forum. I actually picked these up for my snowboards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/L2S-S...s#ht_500wt_948

Hopefully this link works, if not, go to eBay and search "L2S Sport Rack Bracket."
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
those thule racks look good, but maybe a little expensive for me ( i'm 17 )... if i could find used ones on the cheap side, i'd prolly go with that, but in the mean time I'm probably going to stick to building myself some kinda cross bar system or figuring out a good way to tie them down
I see the Thule racks on CL almost every time I'm searching on there. You can normally get a steal on them. They whistle really loud when you drive with them and many people do like them. They are also a little weak and not good for hauling anything other then a plastic kayak or surf board. But... They would be the best bet for you. I just use two DANKE pads on the tail gate for me and the old ladies boards and strap them down with the rear D rings
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #33
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
man youre makin me miss the ocean. i just gave up the life surfing in vb for a job in atlanta... but youve got the 6ft bed. just throw em in crooked (nose in driver side corner, tail in passenger side corner) and bungee the tails. ive been doing it that way for years in my trucks and ive never had any damage because of it. if you get a little nervous about it.. throw your wetsuit under the noses and a towel on the tails. ive carried four boards at a time like this... 8', 7'4", 6'4", and 6'1"

i spent my winter surfing ocean beach.. i love that break. im so jealous.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #34
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery

I use the bed extender with a tailgate pad attached to it. My boards range from 9' to 10'6. So I went with the bed extender to be safe, but it works super well I use the strap on the pad then I use a ratchet strap using the tie downs in the bed and my boards don't move at all.

I also went and got a copy of my key made. So when I surf I leave my keys under my seat, then I just put the copy in my board shorts. Works well for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #35
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You could use a swimming noodle cut in half lengthwise and place it over the tailgate. Then use the ratchet strap the like bigwalton suggests. That is what I have been using for our two boards. Same 10 minute drive to the beach. Ours have never moved and the noodles are the perfect length and like $2.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #36
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikoloa Tacoma View Post
You could use a swimming noodle cut in half lengthwise and place it over the tailgate. Then use the ratchet strap the like bigwalton suggests. That is what I have been using for our two boards. Same 10 minute drive to the beach. Ours have never moved and the noodles are the perfect length and like $2.
Never thought of that but that sounds like it'll work just as good
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You could go on the tailgate and over the cab with one of these

Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #38
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery
Those Thule racks though are super sweet. I would love to have those just don't need them. My set up works great right now. If I was to get into downwind runs from Hawaii Kai, I would purchase them in a heartbeat.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #39
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
have someone sit in the back and put a towel underneath it thas how i do it lol

Products Discussed in this Thread