Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Surf Board in bed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #41
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
just put tme in your bed with a bungie over them and attach them to the D-rings. i have like 9 different boards. the one i surf the most is a 9'2 takayama. i have never had issues with it
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #42
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton15 View Post

I use the bed extender with a tailgate pad attached to it. My boards range from 9' to 10'6. So I went with the bed extender to be safe, but it works super well I use the strap on the pad then I use a ratchet strap using the tie downs in the bed and my boards don't move at all.

I also went and got a copy of my key made. So when I surf I leave my keys under my seat, then I just put the copy in my board shorts. Works well for me.
damn i need a bed extender
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #43
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Like this.............

or this...............
http://www.surfboardracks.com/tailga...e-racks-1.html
Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #44
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
I have bought 3/4"to 1" piping insulation, using the pre-cut seam laying across the tailgate, allowing the board to overhang. Use a rolled up towel at the front of the box, run a bungee cord at the tailgate end. It never has moved.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #45
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=T@co_Pr3runn3r;3312455]Like this.............

i like that. it looks a little crazy at first... but i like that.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #46
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Like this.............

or this...............
http://www.surfboardracks.com/tailga...e-racks-1.html
Those are sweet! Got to be $$$ though
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #47
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, pricey, mostly for my 2 12' kayaks but doubles for 9'6" & 7'4" surfboards. They'll hold 450lbs of whatever you put up there. I use the tailgate pad thing for the most part unless hauling bikes or camping stuff. Also stuff up there makes shade too...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #48
green hornet is on a distinguished road
green hornet's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Block Surf tailgate board rack I use with my DCSB. I see you have a double cab as well, so it would work out well for you.

Check it out:

http://www.surfboardsetc.com/moredet...th_Straps.html

I've carried 4 boards stacked on top of each other with it. A 7'6", a couple 6'0" and a 5'8". Stack them with the biggest board on the bottom, and you'll be set.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #49
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hornet View Post
I have a Block Surf tailgate board rack I use with my DCSB. I see you have a double cab as well, so it would work out well for you.

Check it out:

http://www.surfboardsetc.com/moredet...th_Straps.html

I've carried 4 boards stacked on top of each other with it. A 7'6", a couple 6'0" and a 5'8". Stack them with the biggest board on the bottom, and you'll be set.
That's the same thing I linked to that I use when just going surfing instead of the overhead things except my link is 4.00 cheaper, lol. Much simpler than bolting on the Thule racks.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #50
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
Those are sweet! Got to be $$$ though
Got mine for $180 on craigslist!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #51
green hornet is on a distinguished road
green hornet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
That's the same thing I linked to that I use when just going surfing instead of the overhead things except my link is 4.00 cheaper, lol. Much simpler than bolting on the Thule racks.
It comes in handy when I hit Home Depot and have to hang things off the back of the bed too.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #53
DevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Police officer in MD and Marine in B Co 4th LAR Bn
DevilDogTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thule actually makes a pad designed to attach on the top lip of the tailgate so you can rest your surfboard on it. It's about $40. Or, the way I do it, is just put a towel under the nose of the board in the bed, and drape another towel on the tailgate so the board sits on it. Then I strap 2 bungee cords to the D-rings across the bottom of the board. I have a 8'5'' longboard and never had any problems.

I'm headed to the Outer Banks in August for a week, so I'll have to figure out how to fit my board and a cooler and other crap in the bed.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #54
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogTacoma View Post
Thule actually makes a pad designed to attach on the top lip of the tailgate so you can rest your surfboard on it. It's about $40. Or, the way I do it, is just put a towel under the nose of the board in the bed, and drape another towel on the tailgate so the board sits on it. Then I strap 2 bungee cords to the D-rings across the bottom of the board. I have a 8'5'' longboard and never had any problems.

I'm headed to the Outer Banks in August for a week, so I'll have to figure out how to fit my board and a cooler and other crap in the bed.
Exactly how I do it.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #55
nachosyumm is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
nachosyumm's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use two corner furniture pads made out of recycled plastic, but i lost them and i think i will replace them with a noodle with a cut in it to go over my tail gate.

Using the furniture corner pads on the tailgate and in the front of my bed along with one strap through the rear d-rings and over up to 3 surfboards I've driven down to san diego multiple times with no issues (~100 mi). I just stack them so i can put a cooler or whatever else we are bringing right next to it. If i'm just going to the local beaches near my house I don't even bother with the strap, the wax on the surfboard pretty much keeps it in place for 5~10 min drives.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #56
PtLomaComa is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Rescue Swimmer
Name: Brett
PtLomaComa's Tacoma Gallery
Just go to one of the local surf shops near you and they have tailgate pads specifically designed for this purpose. I have had as many as 4 boards in mine. Where are you at in SD i may be able to point you to a decent shop in your area.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #57
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Lay them in the bed just like lumber...one end at the bottom of the cab, and the other leaning on the top of the tailgate. Add padding around the boards and strap them down to the rear D-rings.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #58
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I find the easiest and most secure way is to get a bed bar and lay the boards across the bed bar and tailgate, then strap them down.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #59
drive.n.surf is on a distinguished road

drive.n.surf's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy a bed rack from Inno Racks or use the L2S Sport Rack brackets, but it'll cost some $$. I was able to do the same thing with some Yakima crossbars and some u-bolts. You can buy cheap used Yakima bars and u-bolts are about a dollar each. The boards are very secure and don't cut down on your gas mileage being in the bed. Plus you can still use the bed space. And lastly you can install or disassemble in minutes.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #60
My Toys.....
TRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to all

Name: TRDGRL
TRDGRL's Tacoma Gallery
Use a board pad for the tailgate.....

Products Discussed in this Thread