Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Surf Board in bed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Surf Board in bed

this is my first summer with the tacoma, every other year i've strapped them on top of my moms BMW wagon.

I know this is kinda a stupid question, but I'll be going to the beach a lot this summer with a couple surf boards ( a 7 foot 6 and some 6 footers )

how do you guys carry them? a lot of people say, just throw em in the bed but I don't want to do this, cuz i'm scared it'll hurt the boards around turns and stuff and their nice boards

so..

I'm thinking maybe 2 cross bars to strap down onto..

or 1 crossbar near the tailgate

or just use the tail gate to rest em on, and find someway to try and keep them from moving too much... I'm hoping you guys might have some unique ideas.. it's only like a 10 min drive to the beach, but I still want them to be held pretty tightly.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
you could just throw them in the bed and tie it down tightly, they wont move around on turns or anything like that.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
KiichiroToyoda is on a distinguished road
KiichiroToyoda's Tacoma Gallery
GUESS TACOMA OWNERS ONLY SURF IN MAGAZINES ADS AND TV COMMERCIALS.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
i'm probably going to do the racks so that they'll be held down safer, or I'll come up with some hybrid of racks and resting in the bed

i'll post up what I do if I think it's something unique
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
GUESS TACOMA OWNERS ONLY SURF IN MAGAZINES ADS AND TV COMMERCIALS.
is this an insult to me or the fact that only 2 people replied????
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
I use the roof rack for my boards. When I get lazy I throw them in the bed and strap it with a tie down. Never ruined a board that way.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
well i'm going to be taking 2 or 3 boards usually.. so that's why I want the racks maybe, or something like them
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
beerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Flightline Avionics Technician
Name: Trey
beerking's Tacoma Gallery
Man, when I first read the title of this I thought this was going to be some weird post about how you like to sleep with your surfboard lol.

Anyway, I don't haul surfboards but if I did I'd probably just go with the strap them in the bed method. A custom built rack would be nice, though, and it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a simple, yet effective design. Good luck with your mod!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
Put it in the bed and rap a towel around the nose. If you wanted to I have seen a Dakine think that drapes over the bed gate to keep the surf boards from slipping.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
maybe i could come up with something to hold the boards on their side to take up less room...

then i'd have a lot of room for beach supplies and what not

i'm thinking of like putting a rubber container in there with some holes drilled to drain and have it locked down for like putting flippers and goggles and wet suits in and things...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3 View Post
Put it in the bed and rap a towel around the nose. If you wanted to I have seen a Dakine think that drapes over the bed gate to keep the surf boards from slipping.
yeah, i've got a couple of those from the racks on my moms wagon that we'll no longer be using for surf boards
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

luk3's Tacoma Gallery
How cold is the water in California?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
I <3 the mall

luk3's Tacoma Gallery
like this
Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
gman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant futuregman424 has a brilliant future

Name: Gary
gman424's Tacoma Gallery
i have board bags for my boards and ive always just thrown them in the bed, the bags help alotttt preventing damage..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
waters between 55 and 60 degrees F... pretty cold as usual haha

My dakine thing is a lot smaller than yours.. not built for bike use, it's just built to wrap around the top edge of the tail gate. The bags can kinda be a hasle... it's never been easy for me to throw a board in a bag, i've got one tho, that's what i'll be using tomorrow to protect it.. i just would like something a little quicker
Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Thats why I say look into a THULE kyak rack - it would allow you to strap more than one board sideways in above your bed or in the bed with the gate down. We can usually stack 2-3 per side. A ladder rack would be the same idea.
OHHHHHHHHH wow, i read that quickly and thought you meant just thule cross bars... to google i go now.. haha
Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
those thule racks look good, but maybe a little expensive for me ( i'm 17 )... if i could find used ones on the cheap side, i'd prolly go with that, but in the mean time I'm probably going to stick to building myself some kinda cross bar system or figuring out a good way to tie them down
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
get the pad that attatches to the top of the tailgate and clips the board to it. i have 3 boards in mine all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A872H70HJPJC4E
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
that is an awesome way to hold boards i'll grant thule that

anyone know if that grey key is okay to go in the water? i've got a key tie on my suit, but I want to make sure that key is water safe...

i had a key for my bimmer that was water safe, an awesome feature for going to the beach
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPtaco View Post
get the pad that attatches to the top of the tailgate and clips the board to it. i have 3 boards in mine all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A872H70HJPJC4E
that's what i talked about a little earlier, I have a couple of those to use, it's just that then with 3 booards I dont have much space left in the bed that's easily accessable

Products Discussed in this Thread