Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suggestions on mounting fire exstinguisher to bedrails.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions on mounting fire exstinguisher to bedrails.

Just wondering if anybody has a good low cost DIY way to mount fire exstinguisher to bedrail. Would like it to be easily removable (in case of fire!!). And also any other suggestions for mounting other items. I have a medic bag that I want to secure and other type survival items. I have a shell on my truck so I keep may things stowed away.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_tiger View Post
Thanks, I remember looking at that post before. I do need to figure out how to hold it on. I think I will improvise with a the hose clamp on one end loosely and the exstiguisher mount on the other because the mount is funky and attaches to a wall with drilling.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
Thanks, I remember looking at that post before. I do need to figure out how to hold it on. I think I will improvise with a the hose clamp on one end loosely and the exstiguisher mount on the other because the mount is funky and attaches to a wall with drilling.
I just picked up a pair of T-slot nuts from my local fastenal store to play around with, see how they fit, etc. and thought about a fire extinguisher. If your fire extinguisher has a wall mount or a mount of some sort, use the mounting holes in the design but drilled out for a 1/4" bolt size. Then, you can install the mount with the 1/4" bolts and T-slot nuts to the track anywhere you want. If facing the rear of the truck, I thought a fire extinguisher mounted to the far left corner behind the driver's door might be a good place. Then, all you need is a good clasp on the mount to keep it in place until needed. I can see lots of uses with the T-slot nuts...
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #5

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
I just picked up a pair of T-slot nuts from my local fastenal store to play around with, see how they fit, etc. and thought about a fire extinguisher. If your fire extinguisher has a wall mount or a mount of some sort, use the mounting holes in the design but drilled out for a 1/4" bolt size. Then, you can install the mount with the 1/4" bolts and T-slot nuts to the track anywhere you want. If facing the rear of the truck, I thought a fire extinguisher mounted to the far left corner behind the driver's door might be a good place. Then, all you need is a good clasp on the mount to keep it in place until needed. I can see lots of uses with the T-slot nuts...
since your in my neck of the wood i was wondering what store you went to.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
A little tough to see but mine is bolted through the bed on the drivers side rear. I just used the plastic wall bracket that it came with and it holds it just fine even with all the wheeling I've done.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
A little tough to see but mine is bolted through the bed on the drivers side rear. I just used the plastic wall bracket that it came with and it holds it just fine even with all the wheeling I've done.

Looks awesome!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Looks awesome!!!
I have read and seen many applications with the T-slot nuts and the stock bed rail system, which seems to be a pretty good mount option for many extras. But, even though I have not drilled thru the bed sides at this point, it seems thru bolting items to the bedside would be a safe and sound option, probably stronger IMO then the weight of the item hanging on the bed rail. Maybe consider mounting light stuff like a small fire extinguisher on the bed rails, and heavier options like hi jacks, shovels etc. mounted and thru bolted to the bed sides?... Even though I have seen some with their hi jacks mounted to the bed rails with T-slot nuts and no issues, if your running hard it might be stressful to the rail system the heavier the item is, and the bedside seems like a solid base which may handle the weight load of heavier objects with ease compared to the rail system.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Prerunners Work

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
since your in my neck of the wood i was wondering what store you went to.
I went to order online, and then found out I had a store nearby my home in FL, called them and they had them shipped to the local store. Same price, @ $3.02 ea. They look solid, and should handle some weight on the bed rail...
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
An alternative...

I have a 2x4 cut to fit crosswise in the bed indents. I just screwed my fire extinguisher bracket to the top of that. It stays put and the whole thing is easily removable when necessary.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
I too want to install extinguishers in the bed but I can't use quick fists in the bed rails because I still want to be able to close my tonneau cover.

I haven't tried it yet but my plan is to make something like this with PVC pipes. I'll put some kind of foam inside to avoid any rattling. I haven't decided yet if I'll make it horizontal or vertical.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions on mounting fire exstinguisher to bedrails.-extinguisherrack.jpg   Suggestions on mounting fire exstinguisher to bedrails.-extinguisherrack-2.jpg