1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My running lights are shutting off!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shawns, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    shawns

shawns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Installed arb deluxe bumper on my 2010 dcab with daytime running lights. Wired in lights correctly with help of my master tech at the Toyota dealer I work at. All was good until I noticed that one side wouldn't be working at all at times. I could pull up to a store front where I could see the reflection and one side would be off. Cycle lights on and back off with truck still running and they would all come back on. Later, after a short drive, same thing. Checked all connections and ran a new ground to be safe.

Today I pulled into work and same thing. Drove it straight to my tech in the shop. Started truck and all was working. 2 minutes later, one side went out and another minute the other side shut off. He is checking the wiring diagram for 2010. Maybe a thermal protection switch that is shutting them off due to running 4 lights ( 2 truck & 2 bumper) instead of the just the two.

Anybody else had this issue?

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    solved. Several folks had same issue. Replace bumper 30watt bulbs with sylvan 12 watt bulbs and it won't overload circuit.

3. Jun 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:
    mine do the same thing! I thought it was my soldering skills and I went back and re-connected and re-soldered everything and used shrink tube and it still does it. When I cycle the lights on and off the side that is not lit will come back on. I am going to have to try changing bulbs.

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    did those light bulb fix the problem? anybody

5. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    So far so good. Changed out few days ago and all is good.

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Sylvania #105 are the bulbs I used.

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    thanks buddy. i'm going to change my out sometimes next week. I've noticed it going out yesterday. does yours shut off any particular lights? My is random sometimes is the bumper lights and sometimes is the DTRL but after i shut it off for a little while and turn it back on is all lit again. those lights looks pretty sweet on our bumper. Where did you get those bulbs at? any auto parts store?

8. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Yes. Sometimes left side sometime other side. cycle on and off and they would all come back on. You can get the replacement bulbs any auto store.

9. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    you don't have any pics of your rig in your profile? what kind of suspension are you running with the arb bumper?

10. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Tsb rear leafs with 5100 shocks, front 5100 set at 1.75 with factory coils.

11. Jun 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    i'm trying to figure out which direction i'm going with, so far it looks like i have my eyes on OME with 886 coil and the dakar leaf in back. thanks again for all your input.

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    hey shawn, when i pulled out my bumper lights they were 21w, you said in the previous post that yours were 30w, but i replaced mine with syvania 1003LL since i couldn't find the #105 in my local auto zone store. the specifications for the sylvania 1003LL is 12.8v @ 12w and i think the ones you got (#105) are 12.8v @ 12.8w, so the 1003LL is a little bit less wattage. after I put those bulbs on they quite shutting off. How about your?

13. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    shawns

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    You are right. They were 20 watt or so. Since I installed the lower watt bulbs, I haven't had any problems at all!

14. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    that's good maan. let's just hope it stays like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top