Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plated sliders?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Plated sliders?

I posted this in my slider thread, but figured it may get noticed better here....

So what do you guys think about these with the plating? They were designed for a DCSB and dude was worried about his dog getting a leg through an open one.

I'm not a fan of completely plated sliders, I just don't like the entire slider plated in, and thought about filling these in entirely with 2 or 3 dimple die holes right at the driver & passenger door, but chose to plate only the rear door area on a DCSB for safety and functionality.

This way you get the open slider look up front, with the added luxury of plating in back for kids, dogs, passengers, etc.

Personally, I like them a lot, and don't think the plating would jump out at you since the angle of the sliders hides just about everything except the outer tube anyway.

The last pic is to show what a "dimple die" hole looks like.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...aclb-4dsb.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...ders-here.html

Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think they look alright with the dimple die. The question is do they stick out enough to be useful.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
I think they look alright with the dimple die. The question is do they stick out enough to be useful.
These are both a narrow set. Some guys like them narrow, some like them wide. I offer them in narrow, medium and wide. Pics of them mounted on many different trucks are in the slider link I posted above.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Personally I would go plated with or without the dimple die. You get the ability to use them as a step, and you wouldn't have to worry about this popping up in the gaps.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
I like them a lot and thing the dimple would work great.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Taco Vending Machine

Thank you to those of you who had some input.

I put some holes in the plates ahead of the kickouts. This is the area where the passenger's feet would be when getting out. The angle of the sliders probably won't allow the plates to actually get stepped on, the outer tube is what usually sees contact, but the looks factor is definitely there.

Keeping the kickout plates solid makes sense because the original reason for having plates was to keep a dog's leg from getting caught when jumping in and out of the truck, and these plates cover most of this area. Plus, putting more holes back there may start to make the area look too busy.

I'm ready to see these things painted and installed!

Attached Thumbnails
Plated sliders?-001.jpg   Plated sliders?-002.jpg   Plated sliders?-gjbonner.jpg   Plated sliders?-gjbonner2.jpg   Plated sliders?-evilsti.jpg  

Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Brian, I think these things look pretty good

I had this thought process a long while back with mine, and discussed it pretty indepth with my fabricator

I dont too much care for the dimple die plates, but I do really like the way the solid ones look

I think if i were to cross this bridge, Id have all the sections done though instead of just the rear ones...just looks half done to me as is
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
JDenny15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
JDenny15's Tacoma Gallery
i like the plates with no holes. good idea though I'm in the process of designing mine
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Taco Vending Machine

They're on the FedEx truck! I spot welded the panels on and smoothed the welds. Paint will hide all the WWll markings. Maybe he should paint them battleship gray and then air brush the spot welds to look like metal...? that would be different.

Attached Thumbnails
Plated sliders?-005.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
They're on the FedEx truck! I spot welded the panels on and smoothed the welds. Paint will hide all the WWll markings. Maybe he should paint them battleship gray and then air brush the spot welds to look like metal...? that would be different.

BADASS!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Taco Vending Machine

These supposedly got powder coated by the buyer and I'd love to see them if at all possible. So if you're reading..........
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
These supposedly got powder coated by the buyer and I'd love to see them if at all possible. So if you're reading..........
They're at the powder coaters now. Should be done this week!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Those plates may also help protect the truck from being rock blasted for those of us that roll without mudflaps. It would need them in the front near the front tires. Those sliders look like top notch craftsmanship.