Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best ground for cb antenna

Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
+2 bed is plastic. Not going to get good range with ground plane antennae.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
Swampterror is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Swampterror's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the ground wire between the cab and bed to a 6mm stud sticking out with a washer on either side and a stainless nut seems to have grounded out just have about 15" of braided ground cable
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The bed rails are grounded. 1/4 wave 11 meter antennas are 108" long. Wire wound around the sticks make up for the short length if you mount them directly behind the cab they are going to suck unless you get the wire that is wrapped inside above the cab. A ground independent antenna needs to be 1/2 wave yep 216" on 11 meters. My ham antenna is mounted at the rear I use frequencies far lower then the CB bands (read very long antennas) mounted on the rear of the bed and underneath the plastic bed is a zig zag of #8 wire grounded to the frame on both ends. With 11 meters no matter what you do 5 miles is a good trip unless the band is open. 11 meters became available to the general because the Navy no longer wanted it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampterror View Post
This I what I have I haves ground wire but not sure where to put it ohm reads zero when both are on the bracket but reads 1 when touching bracket and screws.
Unplug the coax from the antenna and see if it still reads zero.

It won't.

The meter will "find" a ground through the coax back to the radio, but there is a huge difference between DC and RF continuity.

You need a SOLID ground AT the antenna, or as absolutely close as possible to it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
The bed rails are grounded. 1/4 wave 11 meter antennas are 108" long. Wire wound around the sticks make up for the short length if you mount them directly behind the cab they are going to suck unless you get the wire that is wrapped inside above the cab. A ground independent antenna needs to be 1/2 wave yep 216" on 11 meters. My ham antenna is mounted at the rear I use frequencies far lower then the CB bands (read very long antennas) mounted on the rear of the bed and underneath the plastic bed is a zig zag of #8 wire grounded to the frame on both ends. With 11 meters no matter what you do 5 miles is a good trip unless the band is open. 11 meters became available to the general because the Navy no longer wanted it.

Wait, the bedrails are grounded?

I have a very ghetto wire leading from my mount, down through one of the bed storage boxs onto a nut/bolt I put through a hole in the frame. My CB doesn't seem to work well, but I've never tuned it. Getting an SWR gauge and redoing the ground was on my project list for Dec.

Also, my God this thread is old. I remember starting it.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
I got it grounded good took the coax cable off to ensure that it wasn't grounding to the radio still looked good. Now I think my radio just sucks or has a blown fuse it is a uniden 150 pro xl I'm buying a cobra 19 iv and gonna get it tuned and peaked so I can have it hooked to my galaxy 225 linear and actually put out some sound.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #27
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got it grounded good took the coax cable off to ensure that it wasn't grounding to the radio still looked good. Now I think my radio just sucks or has a blown fuse it is a uniden 150 pro xl I'm buying a cobra 19 iv and gonna get it tuned and peaked so I can have it hooked to my galaxy 225 linear and actually put out some sound.
I personally wouldn't put money into a peak and tune on a Cobra 19. If you are running an amp with it just let it be. If you over drive the amp you could fry it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
And if you are driving that antenna with an amp, don't have the whip anywhere near the cab.

Seriously... move it to the roof or the back corner of the bed.
The reflections from the boosted power will smoke the amp quickly.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
My headlights keep blowing out anyone have an idea what that could be caused by ?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #30
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My headlights keep blowing out anyone have an idea what that could be caused by ?
- wrong thread?

are you blowing fuses to? bad grounds? when you install the bulbs, do you touch the bulb with your finger tips?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #31
Cool

Where is the fuse box. I touch the bulbs but I always have Gloves on so they don't burn up.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #32
Is the bolt that holds the seat down to the floor a good ground for a linear amp do t know what to check to make sure have the ground running straight from the amp to that big bolt.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #33
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the bolt that holds the seat down to the floor a good ground for a linear amp do t know what to check to make sure have the ground running straight from the amp to that big bolt.
I've done that before with no issues. Make sure you use the right size cable. I'd say try it. If you get complaints of a lot of static or squeal then go out to the battery ground.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #34
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I personally wouldn't put money into a peak and tune on a Cobra 19. If you are running an amp with it just let it be. If you over drive the amp you could fry it.
Dude, the Cobra 19 is actually one of the easiest and best to peak and tune. You can make a really loud radio out of that thing. I have done a bunch of them. It won't over drive the amp if done right, and you have a good amp. I've even done final amp replacements on them.

BTW I do peak and tune's for $20
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
Quote:
I ran the ground wire between the cab and bed to a 6mm stud sticking out with a washer on either side and a stainless nut seems to have grounded out just have about 15" of braided ground cable
BTW, I see you are in Lexington...I grew up in G'Ville. I ran all over that area in the 80's doing Hare Scrambles.

The Tacoma is an absolute nightmare trying to get a good mount and good SWR. Mounting on the bed side is almost a waste of time unless you use an NGP antenna. The wire braid is really useless. You want a ground plane and the bed just doesn't provide that. In reality, the ground plane must act as at least 1/4 of the antenna wave length. Something like in this photo:

Also antenna height makes a big difference. You really want half on the antenna unobstructed.

One solution that I have found is adding a 2ft Firestik in place of the AM/FM antenna and then using an antenna splitter. So far, the feedback I have gotten has been good. This is one on my FJ:
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #36
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNick View Post
BTW, I see you are in Lexington...I grew up in G'Ville. I ran all over that area in the 80's doing Hare Scrambles.

The Tacoma is an absolute nightmare trying to get a good mount and good SWR. Mounting on the bed side is almost a waste of time unless you use an NGP antenna. The wire braid is really useless. You want a ground plane and the bed just doesn't provide that. In reality, the ground plane must act as at least 1/4 of the antenna wave length. Something like in this photo:

Also antenna height makes a big difference. You really want half on the antenna unobstructed.

One solution that I have found is adding a 2ft Firestik in place of the AM/FM antenna and then using an antenna splitter. So far, the feedback I have gotten has been good. This is one on my FJ:
Does the radio pickup better?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Does the radio pickup better?
From what I have been told, yes. Because you get a better ground plane. I just added this to the FJ as a test for the mount and adapter. It has made no difference in AM/FM function at all.

To be honest, the best Tacoma CB I have installed was with a roof mount Wilson antenna. I had the SWR down to about .3 across all 40 channels.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's awesome! How did you do that with the stock fm antenna location? Could you do a write up? I know there are a few people on here who'd like to do that exact mounting option, but don't know how to.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #39
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From what I have been told, yes. Because you get a better ground plane. I just added this to the FJ as a test for the mount and adapter. It has made no difference in AM/FM function at all.

To be honest, the best Tacoma CB I have installed was with a roof mount Wilson antenna. I had the SWR down to about .3 across all 40 channels.
SWR can not be any better then 1:1 not matter how hard you try.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #40
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

In the case of a 1/4 wave antenna CB antenna or not that is correct the ground plane becomes the other half wave but a 1/2 wave is ground independent. Any thing you do to an 11 meter antenna is a compromise because of the length with out a ground plane it would have to be in excess of 200" they get over the short length with a wire wound around a fiberglass stick to equal a ľ of 11 meters. If you can get the entire stick above the roof line your OK. In the case of a truck the best possible spot is dead in the center of the roof because it does not slew the pattern it becomes omni directional, any where you put the antenna on a metal truck will work the body and the frame will become a ground plane plastic bed or not but the pattern will change. Trucker often use co phased antennas they work well on a truck because the pattern become shaped like a figure eight perfect for a trucker front and back and little to the sides but if you want to talk to your buddies in the woods not so good. If your base is grounded to the body work be it a ball mount or aluminum angle thatís a good enough ground there is no need to go any further unless it makes you feel good.