Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best ground for cb antenna

Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
In the case of a 1/4 wave antenna CB antenna or not that is correct the ground plane becomes the other half wave but a 1/2 wave is ground independent.
You aren't going to get a true 1/2 wave antenna for CB on a vehicle smaller than a large yacht.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #42
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You aren't going to get a true 1/2 wave antenna for CB on a vehicle smaller than a large yacht.
That is correct unless it is a wound antenna it would have to be 5.5 meters long. Think about this I operate on 80 meters mobile from my truck the antenna I use costs $400 not including the controller or the radio. It has a motor driven tuner built in to it and even at that price it can't come close to a half wave wire dipole. I have used wire wound antennas mobile the only one that was worth a hoot was cut for 10 meters and it was about 6 1/2 feet long with the stinger I tried one for 20 meters and may have well just leaned out the window and yelled. So If any one is really serious about CB just go buy a 108" whip bolt it to the side of the truck and be done with it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #43
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
SWR can not be any better then 1:1 not matter how hard you try.
1.3:1 Pardon me, didn't know I was being critiqued on my typing.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #44
Gatorstaco is on a distinguished road
Gatorstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K40 mounted on my fiberglass tonneau cover. Not grounded to taco and works great
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
Brewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brewmaster's Tacoma Gallery
going to mount an 3ft firestick to the left rear of my bed using the two bolts on the bed stiffener, i have a cap on my taco, and was thinking about getting the little all in one cobra (the one that has all the controlls in the mic) , fabricating a bracket that will put the antenna about an inch away and above the left rear tail light, with that set up how much will the cap inhibit my ability to get my signal out. excuse my ignorance, the last time i had a cb was in 1987 in my little honda civic 3dr and my first and last education on signal transmission was in 2003 @ DeVry and that was just one semester. thanks for your help. btw i am just going to use this for hwy driving and around town talking to my friends and family when on trips.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
going to mount an 3ft firestick to the left rear of my bed using the two bolts on the bed stiffener, i have a cap on my taco, and was thinking about getting the little all in one cobra (the one that has all the controlls in the mic) , fabricating a bracket that will put the antenna about an inch away and above the left rear tail light, with that set up how much will the cap inhibit my ability to get my signal out. excuse my ignorance, the last time i had a cb was in 1987 in my little honda civic 3dr and my first and last education on signal transmission was in 2003 @ DeVry and that was just one semester. thanks for your help. btw i am just going to use this for hwy driving and around town talking to my friends and family when on trips.
Have a look at this mount:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/fam...-tailgate.html

I think this would work good with a cap. I'd suggest going with a 4ft Firefly with a cap. The Cobra 75 is what you are talking about and they do perform fairly well. I've been able to tune them up and have had a lot of luck with them.

I actually have a deal going right now for $240 that includes the 4' Firefly antenna, mount, coax, HD spring, quick disconnect, Mounting stud and the 18ft Fire Ring coax as well as the cobra 75 radio. That includes shipping in the CONUS. PM me or email me at: nick@excopllc.com if you are interested in that setup.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
The best spot to mount any antenna depends of the transmission propagation pattern you want to achieve. For most vehicles, the center of the ground plane will give the best pattern in all directions. When the antenna is mounted on one corner of the ground plane, the best propagation will be opposite corner of the ground plane. For example, if the antenna is mounted in right rear, the strongest transmission lobe would be to the front left, and little signal will be transmitted from the right rear. For better radio transmission performance, insure that the vehicle's body and frame are bonded together to provide a good ground plane.

A full wave whip CB antenna is great, but not very practical and hard on garage doors and ceilings and filling station lighting.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #49
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
This is my mount and location. I have so far had no problems receiving or transmitting. I have been able on the highway to secure around 4 miles without loss of signal. I figure I am doing pretty decent.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #50
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The shorter one is a VHF/UHF/ FM for local and repeater use (50-60 miles). The long one is a HF antenna allowing me to talk to pretty much any place on the globe. The ground is the frame no extra wires just a good body ground is all that is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Best ground for cb antenna-antenna-rear-mount..jpg   Best ground for cb antenna-hf-antenna.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #51
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
how is this for a ground? I'll be using a firestik II
or should i just ground it directly to the frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Best ground for cb antenna-img_20121212_160050-1-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #52
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
how is this for a ground? I'll be using a firestik II
or should i just ground it directly to the frame?
It might work but that ground wire is way too long. The shorter the better or the ground wire can act as it's own antenna and cause all kinds of heartache.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
It might work but that ground wire is way too long. The shorter the better or the ground wire can act as it's own antenna and cause all kinds of heartache.
thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, i'm cutting that sucker. Would never install something that sloppy! lol