1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't Use Your Bed-Rail Cleats with Your Camper Shell?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by DanCorcoran, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    cu52

cu52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rocky Mountains - Denver
    Vehicle:
    2009 Crewmax Tundra Limited

Yes, but I said I have a CX series. Interior image and image of the tag on the roof. Does your tag say 2011? It would be stupid of ARE to change the design when the older model worked with the rails.

I would take it back and have them get you a top that allows full functionality of your rails....

interior shell.jpg
    listing.jpg

2. Jun 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Auto Regular Cab
    Yes, I have a 2011 Tacoma (no notches in the rails) and a 2011 CX (four 5-piece clamps hold the shell on, with no tabs). Whether Toyota and A.R.E. changed their designs to be stupid, or for some other reason, I have no idea. I knew that I would have a problem with the cleats (only with the shell on) before I ordered the CX, because others on this forum have mentioned the same issue.

Another interesting change. I wanted the CX with the compression fitting, but was told that A.R.E. no longers offers this option for the new Tacomas. Seems that there was insufficient space at the top of the shell and they were getting warranty claims for cracked shells (which are guaranteed for life against cracking, as long as they haven't been modified). Instead I got the fold-down sliding front window. A previous reply on this thread suggested cutting around the bottom of the shell, to allow room for the cleats. No thanks, that voids the warranty against cracking.

3. Jun 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    DanCorcoran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    You guys (you know who you are) are right. I climbed into the back of the Tacoma and ran my fingers along the inside lip of the rails. Sure enough, there are cutouts (the instruction sheet calls them detents) which are not visible from the face of the rail but can be felt. :eek:

I tried inserting the cleats onto the rail in those detents and sure enough, they go in, turn, and then can be slid along the rail and fastened down. The only difference between having the CX shell on or off is that, with the shell off (and per the instructions), the cleats can be inserted anywhere along the rail. With the shell on, the cleat can only be inserted through one of the detents.

As far as the CX shell itself, it is different from previous versions. It lacks the tabs shown in the photo above and uses five-piece clamps to secure the shell to the truck body.

Thanks, guys...due to your persistance in telling me I was wrong, I now have 10 available tie-downs instead of just the factory four. And again, I apologize.

4. Dec 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Dan [OP],

Were you able to insert the aluminum blocks into the tracks without undoing the shell clamps? Or did you have to loosen the clamp and slide the aluminum blocks into the tracks? I'm in the same situation as you and I want additional tie down points.

Thanks.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    DanCorcoran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    It's been a year and a half since I put the blocks in, so this answer is based on my less-than-perfect memory. As I recall, the blocks will go in only where the detents are located, that is, only where Toyota has cut the inner lip of the rails. As noted above, I only discovered these detents by running my finger along the inside of the rail.

If I remember correctly, one of the clamps was installed covering a detent, the other was not. Thus, I had to loosen only one of the clamps and slide it down slightly to get the block inserted. In any case, loosening and retightening the clamp isn't a big deal. I think we are supposed to check the clamps every few months for snugness anyway.

Hope this helps.

6. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thanks Dan. It helps. :)