1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shorty antenna mod.....got bored

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Oct 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I already had a shorty but got bored so here's what I did.
    You will need your antenna, hack saw, vice, hand drill, 1/8th bit, file, paint.
    I first off decided on a height, I went 16" from the bottom of the screw. I put the antenna in a vice and cut it to size. Next I put the top of the antenna in the vice (ball shape on top) make sure to pad the vice with rubber or leather. Think is made out of hardened brass, use pliers and turn the shaft of the antenna until it comes loose of the ball. Leave ball in the vice, now file the piece of antenna you will be using to remove burr's etc. Try a test fit, for mine the hole in the ball was to small, so I used a 1/8th drill bit, NOW DO NOT use a battery or electric drill, to much torque, I used a old fashioned hand drill, or a tap handle would work. Make the hole in the ball larger taking your time. When done put the kept section of the antenna in the ball and turn slightly.
    Remove from vice, and take a piece of wood, leather hammer, or light dead blow hammer and hit the ball seating it into place.
    BINGO your done, now paint if you need to, I had to due to the fact it was hitting the garage door.

2. Oct 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Left side "new antenna"
    right side scrap I cut off. :)
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    did you cut it to fit the garage?

4. Oct 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    nah, cut it shorter than that. Hey you need to swing down this way and we can knock out all these mod's on your ride in one day :D

3 days until fall turkey YES!!! got the blind set up yesterday, man they had a bunch of storm damage. To bad I don't live closer, and burned wood.

5. Oct 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah thanks to TW my wife says I'm obsessed now....she's right:eek:

Finishing up an 84 hour week. not much extra time. Hope to get in the woods by next week on a regular basis. Almost hit a huge buck on the way home last night. Couldn't see his legs he was so close.:eek::eek:

I do burn wood but usually cut fairly close to the house. Good buddy of mine is after the turkeys real hard with his bow, but no success yet. Can't wait to see the fall turkey pic from ya.

6. Oct 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Ya gonna do my best, I have a great ambush sight with a good view from 100 plus yards, bad for deer though, to close to salt block.
    My deer area got hit hard, with a storm. Travel routes all messed up, I am hoping to get in their after turkey to clean things up and get them moving in the right direction.

Products Discussed in

To Top