1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY AIR INTAKE?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DV88, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    DV88

DV88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Redding
    Rock Rails Rear Bumper in Progress Skid Plates in Progress
    Has anyone on here made their own intake system with a cone filter(or know anyone that has)? Will my engine blow up? Will my air sensor flip out?

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    $25 K&N drop in :cool:

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I know that Spectre has all the parts you'd need to make one, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that, nor have I priced it out. If your plan was to have a cone filter that is open to the engine compartment, you should re-consider that plan.

Spectre does have filter elements enclosed in an aluminum canister. They also have the silcone couplers needed along with a pipe that has a place for a MAF sensor. What you'd need to watch out for is what the cross section of the Spectre pipe by the MAF sensor is, compared to the stock cross section. The MAF sensor expects a certain pipe cross section in order to calculate the amount of air passing by. If the new pipe's cross section is not similar, it can cause the engine to run lean or rich depending on if the pipe is bigger or smaller.

BTW, +1 to Wolf on the air filter median comment. Air filter media is a trade-off, flow vs filtering ability. Want more flow, lose filtering. Want better filtering, lose flow.

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    DV88

DV88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Redding
    Rock Rails Rear Bumper in Progress Skid Plates in Progress
    I have a k&n drop in already...
    -I was thinking about putting in an oversized k&n cone, and hooking it up to a large diameter tube to send into my manifold. I would reinstall the sensor.
    -I am going to remove a portion of my hood and replace it with a grille, to let air in directly from over my intake.

I will then section the cone off within the engine bay. I know how to prevent water intrusion so that won't be a problem.

...i really just want to know if my engine is going to bow up...

will do more research!

Products Discussed in

To Top