1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!!! anytime locker mod problems!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by silver09taco, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 AC TRD Off Road
    Toytec front bilstein/eibach coils cranked to 3.5", AP Rear 3" springs, OME rear shocks, AP front and rear bumpers, AP skids, AP CV boots, K&N CAI, Bestop supertop, 33" BFG KM2's, Dick Cepek wheels, Warn 8000 with synth. line
    OK, i read the directions to the T and performed the locker mod. drove around and got nothing. could still go into 4hi an 4lo but no locker light. I searched the forums and read something that suggested i tie the relay to the actual 4x4 ECU, i did this and now my 4hi,4lo and locker lights are all on and 4x4 doesnt work. i tried to put everything back to normal but am still getting all the lights and no 4x4. PLEASE HELP! i hope i didnt fry something! :eek:

Edit: Im using the radio shack 275-217 relay

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Toytec front bilstein/eibach coils cranked to 3.5", AP Rear 3" springs, OME rear shocks, AP front and rear bumpers, AP skids, AP CV boots, K&N CAI, Bestop supertop, 33" BFG KM2's, Dick Cepek wheels, Warn 8000 with synth. line
    yea ive read thru all the threads about this mod. i will check the fuses tomorrow but it seems to me if i blew a fuse none of the lights would come on. i also disconnected the plug for the wires to the ECU so i could work on it easier, i dont know if this matters or not as the truck was turned off.

maybe il go to radio shack and get the 275-218 relay instead of the 217 as this is what most people seem to be using.

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Yep, go get the radio shack part# 275-218

And follow this guide.

1 - Green / Black
    2- Violet
    3- Violet
    4-Pink
    5- Green
    6- Blue
    7- Red/Black
    8- Ground

4. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Fixed the 4wd lights! it was a blown 20A fuse. the original directions called for the 217 but obviously that was wrong. will get the 218 and see what happens. thanks for the help guys i hate electrical work. it always ends up with me being angry at something. :frusty:

5. Jun 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Got her all worked out! Note to anyone reading this. DO NOT USE THE 217 RELAY! it wont work. go with the 218 and save urself all the pain i went thru! other than that, the mod works as advertised. now to test it in the mud tomorrow!! :taco::taco::taco:

6. Jun 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    This is all kind of cool to have another drive mode, but seriously with a truck that has 9 drive modes, including limited slip in H2 and H4, is the rear locker going to be used that much when not in L4 (specially if you have A-TRAC).

Toyota only recommends the rear locker if all else fails to get you out of a stuck... or over an obsticle... Just asking if there is a need for so much grief if you have it available in L4 already?

We in 4x4's really don't need the AUTO LSD feature in H2, as we can flip it into H4 and have that on all 4 tires to get moving in snow/ ice/ mud.

Anyway, no gripe, just didn't want the non TRD OFF ROAD 4x4 owners to think we need the rear locker anytime because the other drive systems available to us don't work... they work great.

7. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Any chance you can try that again, but don't use the rear locker and see if TRAC in H4 gets you through?

Remember, if you get stuck... go to L4 with A-TRAC... it has yet to ever fail me! That includes a 3 foot deep bog in Baja (that contaminated my rear diff. and thus I did the breather mod after!).

8. Jun 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Here in NoDak we have some HORRIBLE minimum maintenance "roads". H4 with Rear locked is just about perfect for most situation we run into while coyote hunting. Im a big fan of A-trac but feel its more for rocks and sand perhaps. The mud/clay/ice/slush up here trumps most traction control devices. On another note. I tested the truck out today and LOVE the locker anytime mod! PERFECT!

9. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Very cool photo and testing pond! Please don't try anything you are not comfortable doing or without a buddy vehicle along.

I am hoping to hear of an unbiased TW'er with an '09+ Off Road 4WD who has done the mod... and tried using TRAC in H4 and then RR Locker in H4.

I think having the locker available anytime in any drive mode would be great... but only if setting it up is easy enough and doesn't mess up anything or void a warranty. Until then, I have yet to get stuck with TRAC and A-TRAC available.

Thank you!

10. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks for your input! A-TRAC has been awesome for STEEP, ROCKY climbs and Getting out of being high centered with only ONE tire (front) on firm ground (pointing uphill)! Also through deep water/ mud and out of a sand stuck... However, just driving on sand the TRAC in H4 is perfect. I got stuck in the sand on purpose by switching to open diffs (VSC OFF) in H4, with tires at street pressure. Once unstuck, I went back into H4 with TRAC on... and drove about at full pressure (it was winter... in the summer, I had to deflate on the same beach).

11. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Have you EVER overheated the system to where it temp. shuts off? It is your area, so where's the test report? I was in L4 and A-TRAC on for 3 hours straight of tough four wheeling in Baja and never did it shut down.

Do you understand that A-TRAC only brakes a wheel if it spins from loss of traction (for just seconds or split seconds) to match the rotation of the other wheel on that axle? It isn't like a 'motor' that stays on all the time you are driving. TRAC (auto limited-slip) and A-TRAC (auto non-slip) are always on stand-by for when needed if you lose traction and forward movement is interupted.

It would take some really long time, continous poor traction action to over heat the brakes (more than just city driving with stop and goes all the time)... Then you still have the rear locker if it ever did need a rest!

12. Jun 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    When you personally have had the A-TRAC system over-heat and shut off, let us know... I promiss to do the same! Where does one go to wheel in a mud hole (in low range) for 4 hours... or why? It could happen so says the manual, but it sure has got to be RARE for most of us.

13. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Christian, you keep typing stuff I haven't said or even things that agree with you, but you can't seem to see that...???

1) I have said I used A-TRAC for up to 3 hours at a time (not 4).
    2) I am the one who said it is on standby and not on like a motor... that it works for seconds (or less) when it does sense slippage.
    3) Baja has some classic bad roads... but so do other places, it is not the end-all. I find Baja just extremely fascinating as it has so much variety of terrain and activities... and that so many believe the U.S. media BS that Mexico is dangerous to vacationers... LOL! It isn't just a desert... it is beaches, mountains, valleys, palm canyons...

Baja IS the place where the TRD Off Road 4WD Tacoma and PreRunner was developed, thanks to Ivan Stewart racing Baja for Toyota and his input.

Baja is also where our 4 door trucks are built (mine anyway)!

14. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Looking forward to using A-TRAC so much it does over-heat! It is the most fun in the world to drive a nice truck like it is an army tank... and that's what A-TRAC makes us feel like, that we can go anywhere.

15. Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Setting it up is simple enough with the resources on here. If you're careful with the wiring you won't mess anything up. As for the warranty, we live in California. In order for the dealer to deny your warranty claim they have to provide proof that what you did caused the damage. So say you do this mod and 2 days later your 4x4 ecu fries, they can attempt to deny it, but say you do this mod and 2 days later your ac stops working, they can't deny the repair because of this particular mod.

16. Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    How??

Products Discussed in

To Top