1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 4 cyl questions, and reports

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fourbanger, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    fourbanger

fourbanger [OP] Member

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl
    hellwig springs, flex a lite fan, Mito mirror, ARE cap
    Hello,

I haven't been on the boards in a long time but I appreciate the info everybody puts out there. It is a great resource and makes all the difference to get the real story and compare ideas for oneself. There's a couple questions in my post if anybody has time.

My truck is going good, it has only 19k on it and I do no serious off roading. I'm happy I got it.

I'm also happy with the mods I did, namely the Mito mirror and the Hellwig 2000lb springs. Who knows what the flex-a-lite fan does in terms of efficiency, but it makes a cool whirring noise. The ARE cap is good, door is a bit flimsy, it has a good finish and looks as good as new.

Underneath, I have rust on the frame and rust on lots of exposed bolt threads. I wish I would have sprayed anything on there 2 years ago to prevent that. Even Cosmoline or something low-tech. One thing is for sure, I will tackle that in the next year or two before it gets worse. Will the dealer do anything?

The driveline sometimes has a loud harmonic sound when lifting off throttle, especially at high speeds. Dealer will look at that this week. It used to have one on start up occasionally but that has gone away.

I'd like to add an engine heater for the winter, I know it isn't really necessary, but I don't see why not to do it. Any suggestions ? I don't like the coolant heaters, too hot, hurt the heater core. I was hoping for an easy dipstick or drain plug set up.

6cyl filter and 4cyl filter (purchased at the dealer, OEM) are same fitment but 6cyl is larger filter so I installed that on this oil change.

Once again, I appreciate everybody's posted info on the boards. It's a big help.

2. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    justinhw

justinhw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Turlock, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    Hey fourbanger,

There is a lot of info on this if you use the search. Here's a writeup of a block heater for a 4 cyl; it seemed to have gone in place of a freeze plug.

A oil pan heater would also be another option and would be much easier to install (no need to drain coolant), but here is a thread comparing the two: link

Oh, interesting tip on the 1grfe filter

Good luck,
    Justin

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    fourbanger

fourbanger [OP] Member

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl
    thanks,

I'll look at those. I received some rust advice - the recommendation was Salt-Away and Fluid Film. Wish I would have done that 2 yrs ago, but at least I'll slow what I got.

4. Jun 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    how does the truck ride now with the hellwig springs?

5. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    fourbanger

fourbanger [OP] Member

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl
    It rides great. I notice more bounce and rattle when I have the rear tires at 50 as opposed to 35 than I do with the springs, which I can't notice at all. Guy who installed them said he set them "at about half". I highly recommend them. The truck does ride a bit higher in the back.

I had a neighbor with a bobcat help me put some huge logs in the bed and truck did sag down an inch off the stops. While strapping them down another (more knowledgeable) neighbor drove by and told me what I was doing was really dumb, so he went home, drove back in his bobcat and we removed the logs. I asked how much they weighed in total and he said probably 3000lbs.. Rented a trailer.

6. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i added some helper springs from advanced, not the full leaf style just the rear. it rides a bit rougher, squeaks and creaks like no other though.

7. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    do you have any pics of your setup on the truck?

8. Jun 23, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    fourbanger

fourbanger [OP] Member

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl
    here's a couple pitchers n'at

this is after 2 yrs, they have a coating that is better than the stock leafs.

IMG00113-20110623-0904.jpg
    IMG00112-20110623-0900.jpg

9. Jun 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the pic, i think this is where some of my problems are with my dynachrome helpers...they mount underneath and are rubbing on the pieces that actually hold the leaf pack together. i may have to switch out for one that mounts on the top.

Products Discussed in

To Top