Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lights auto or not?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
TacomaRyan is on a distinguished road

TacomaRyan's Tacoma Gallery
Lights auto or not?

I noticed that my lights turn off automatically. but i manually turn lights on/off.

My question:
If i left my lights on, will they automatically turn off and on depending on the time of day. I have had a couple vehicles that have had this and i didn't think toyota did this.

Let me know.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
If your light switch is left in the on position (either Headlights or Parking Lights) and you turn off the vehicle, the lights will turn off automatically when you open your door.

When you engage your alarm (or lock your doors), the lights will come on again for several seconds and then turn themselves off.

You can turn your lights back on after the vehicle has shutdown. That will keep them on until you turn them off or the battery low level is reached.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota has had this feature on there cars I know at least back until the mid 80's. Anytime you have your headlights on with the engine shut-off then precede to exit through the driver's door...the lights will shut-off automatically. Notice, it works with the drivers door only. I personally think this an innovative way of saving the battery, rather through sophisticated electronic timers like some other manufactures use. When you restart the engine the lights will come back on automatically.This also verified by the green light illuminated in the Tach instrumental panel reminding you still have your lights on.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #4

ok great. so it keeps you from running down your battery by leaving the headlights turned on, but as far as detecting when the lights should come on autamitically because of darkness outside isn't the function.

Reason i asked, is because i have had a couple of GM vehicles and both had lights that would come on when it was dark automatically. And i would just put the switch on (lights on), similar to the switch i left on w/ my tacoma, and the lights went off when i opened the door.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My wife's GM van has the auto dark setting..even though we have not had any problems with the light sensor, I know others that have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaRyan View Post
ok great. so it keeps you from running down your battery by leaving the headlights turned on, but as far as detecting when the lights should come on autamitically because of darkness outside isn't the function.

Reason i asked, is because i have had a couple of GM vehicles and both had lights that would come on when it was dark automatically. And i would just put the switch on (lights on), similar to the switch i left on w/ my tacoma, and the lights went off when i opened the door.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
m_taker1 is on a distinguished road

m_taker1's Tacoma Gallery
The lights will shut off if they are left on, when you open the door. As far as day time running lights and them coming on automatically...you would know if you had an auto option on your turn signal where the light switch is. My taco don't have it but my girlfriends highlander has the drl auto switch on it. I wish I had it, I had an s-10 zr2 and i never turned the lights on now i have to remember to!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #7

I think your confusing daytime running lights(DRL) with an auto dark sensor. The DRL are always on... day or night(same bulb as parking lights). The auto dark sensor illuminates the 'headlights' automatically upon darkness (assuming the switch is set to the automatic mode). Tacoma's do not have the auto dark sensor. Additionally, the automatic door cutoff switch is wired to the driver's door only. If a passenger door is open, the auto-headlight shutoff function is inhibited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_taker1 View Post
The lights will shut off if they are left on, when you open the door. As far as day time running lights and them coming on automatically...you would know if you had an auto option on your turn signal where the light switch is. My taco don't have it but my girlfriends highlander has the drl auto switch on it. I wish I had it, I had an s-10 zr2 and i never turned the lights on now i have to remember to!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #8

i am not confusing the 2, i am just saying vechicles i have seen with the drl are the vechiles with the auto sensors in them.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #9

also i had an s-10 that the drl would be on and when the auto sensor kicked in it would turn the drl off and the head lights would kick on. they didn't stay on all the time.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #10

Good point flyman!

I guess i am talking mainly on the auto dark censor. that really came in handy w/ my last 2 gm cars. but i love my toyota tacoma, even if it doesn't have the "dark censor". but at my dealership i have seen many toyota's w/ the technology.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
A little off the subject, but should the dome light come on when you open the door? Mine doesn't, i'm thinking maybe I changed something. I just don't know??????
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
well there's the switch on the dome light that is either ON (all the time), OFF (all the time), or DOOR (which only turns on when you open the door). that should be all it is. my wife always screws w/ mine.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks JHODGE83, didn't see the fine print on the clear glass, but that did it.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
no prob man...i have to check mine all the time....women...geez...haha..no offense to the divas in here