Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Won't go into Reverse, 1st, 3rd or 5th

Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Won't go into Reverse, 1st, 3rd or 5th

Well today i drove to Arizona from california, about 500 miles. The whole trip was great. I stop at the gas station about 25 miles from my destination and everything is still, great. I begin to head towards my destination, which is my uncle's house out in the desert. I have to drive on some dirt roads to get there, anyway, its all fine and i pull up to their house and park. A couple hours later i get in my truck and i can't get the transmission into reverse, 1st , 3rd or 5th. It kinda goes half way and grinds a whole bunch if i try to let out the clutch. In addition, moving the stick around in neutral doesn't feel right. After several attempts i am finally able to get it, so i drive it around a bit and stop, it does the same thing, so i have to continue to struggle with it... I did hit some dips pretty hard on the dirt road, so maybe the transmissions just loose? The truck has 116k. Any help is appreciated! I'm going to take a good look at it tomorrow. Thanks

Update: I removed the URD SS this morning hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. Oil has been checked and is fine. 2nd 4th and 6th work fine. 1, 3, 5 worked on and off this morning, i havn't been able to get reverse to work at all this morning...

Update: Went to a transshop and they quoted me 1200 bucks, i was like yeah right. I went to toyota and they found parts of the urd ss that were not allowing the truck to shift. Anyway cost me 110$ for the "inspection fee." Anyway gotta give props to Anderson Toyota of Havasu, AZ. They could of charged me out the ass. I knew i should of looked into the trans with a flashlight haha. Anyway its all good now except i just blew my serpentine belt off, :\

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
Well today i drove to Arizona from california, about 500 miles. The whole trip was great. I stop at the gas station about 25 miles from my destination and everything is still, great. I begin to head towards my destination, which is my uncle's house out in the desert. I have to drive on some dirt roads to get there, anyway, its all fine and i pull up to their house and park. A couple hours later i get in my truck and i can't get the transmission into reverse, 1st , 3rd or 5th. It kinda goes half way and grinds a whole bunch if i try to let out the clutch. In addition, moving the stick around in neutral doesn't feel right. After several attempts i am finally able to get it, so i drive it around a bit and stop, it does the same thing, so i have to continue to struggle with it... I did hit some dips pretty hard on the dirt road, so maybe the transmissions just loose? The truck has 116k. Any help is appreciated! I'm going to take a good look at it tomorrow. Thanks

uhh.. ever replaced the clutch? it prolly no workie.

however.. in your transmission those gears you listed are usually at the top of the gearbox. no oil.. no workie. if a synchro was going out.. you would have had some warning im guessing.. and it would be from one gear position to the other... but uhh..

you ever replaced that clutch?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
could have something to do with the URD short shifter! jus' sayin'
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
x2

and I doubt the clutch has already been replaced at only 116k.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
x2
sounds like a clutch or maybe fluid to me

Edit: Didn't realize you have the SS. That would be the first thing to check.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
uhh.. ever replaced the clutch? it prolly no workie.

however.. in your transmission those gears you listed are usually at the top of the gearbox. no oil.. no workie. if a synchro was going out.. you would have had some warning im guessing.. and it would be from one gear position to the other... but uhh..

you ever replaced that clutch?
I am not sure if the clutch has been replaced, i bought it with 96k... I'm going to check the oil tomorrow. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
Didn't think of that, thanks for reminding me about that! Ill pull my console tomorrow. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
x2

and I doubt the clutch has already been replaced at only 116k.
Yeah, i'm not sure.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #7

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
x2
sounds like a clutch or maybe fluid to me

Edit: Didn't realize you have the SS. That would be the first thing to check.
Shit, hope its not the clutch...

Will check the ss tomorrow! Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
If 2nd, 4th, and 6th work fine, it's not the clutch, sounds like a shift mechanism issue, and the short shifter is the first place I'd look. I't not the first time I've heard of one of them causing trouble.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
If 2nd, 4th, and 6th work fine, it's not the clutch, sounds like a shift mechanism issue, and the short shifter is the first place I'd look. I't not the first time I've heard of one of them causing trouble.
im retarded and you are correct.. this is what happens when you learn how to read in california.

i vote a class action suit.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #11

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
im retarded and you are correct.. this is what happens when you learn how to read in california.

i vote a class action suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Thanks for the help everybody.

Update: I removed the URD SS this morning hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. Oil has been checked and is fine. 2nd 4th and 6th work fine. 1, 3, 5 worked on and off this morning, i havn't been able to get reverse to work at all this morning...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like something blocking your shifter from moving up. You probably broke a syncro and the pieces of plastic are floating around.

No matter how you slice it, you need to drop the tranny.

If still in warranty remove any evidence of short shifter and bring it in,you should be covered. GL.

EDIT: Sorry 05 wont have warranty most likely. If you're comfy with it, drop the tranny and find out what went wrong. Else its about time for the mechanic and some green.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Sounds like something blocking your shifter from moving up. You probably broke a syncro and the pieces of plastic are floating around.

No matter how you slice it, you need to drop the tranny.

If still in warranty remove any evidence of short shifter and bring it in,you should be covered. GL.

EDIT: Sorry 05 wont have warranty most likely. If you're comfy with it, drop the tranny and find out what went wrong. Else its about time for the mechanic and some green.
Yeah, i don't have a warranty and i don't have a dolly or anything to hold the transmission, time to fork out the money... thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Gigi515 is on a distinguished road
Gigi515's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Carson;3341853]I am not sure if the clutch has been replaced, i bought it with 96k... I'm going to check the oil tomorrow. Thanks

One good reason I will not buy a used manual trans. vehicle. You don't know how it's been driven.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Gigi515's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=m3bassman;3344962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi515 View Post

but you do know how a vehicle was driven if it was an automatic. . . ?

I'm talking about the clutch. Some people just don't know how to drive a stick..................
Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #16

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Gigi515;3344891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
I am not sure if the clutch has been replaced, i bought it with 96k... I'm going to check the oil tomorrow. Thanks

One good reason I will not buy a used manual trans. vehicle. You don't know how it's been driven.
Quote:

[QUOTE=Gigi515;3345030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

I'm talking about the clutch. Some people just don't know how to drive a stick..................
Both of you have good points.

Anyway, i called Toyota and they said to check the hydraulic fluid, does anyone know where that reservoir is located?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good point.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #18

Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody know how to access the linkage?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Gigi515's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sechsgang;3345125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

Good point.

see above