Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How far out can i go?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
TacomaRyan is on a distinguished road

TacomaRyan's Tacoma Gallery
How far out can i go?

Hi folks,
I have the 4cyl 4x4. I don't plan on doing a lot of hard core 4x4ing or anything like that. But am curious, how far can i really go? i appreciate your guys's thoughts on this.

*this is my first 4wheel drive.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
how far in the woods??? a set of 31' BFG all terrians you can go as far as you want!!! I have a 99 2.7 4x4 and i have no fear of dumping it in a hole fender deep
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaRyan View Post
Hi folks,
I have the 4cyl 4x4. I don't plan on doing a lot of hard core 4x4ing or anything like that. But am curious, how far can i really go? i appreciate your guys's thoughts on this.

*this is my first 4wheel drive.
Welcome Ryan.

First of all their is a LOT of aftermarket support for Tacomas. Kind of depends how deep your wallet is.

We have the same truck stock so far but I am planning suspension lift and possibly a rear locker.

Bob
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
65Tuxedo is on a distinguished road
65Tuxedo's Tacoma Gallery
in half way.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
...We have the same truck stock so far but I am planning suspension lift and possibly a rear locker.

Bob
I will be doing something similar to this on my PreRunner. I will be installing a Limited Slip Rear Differential (LSD). Most of people that have 4WD or PreRunners that I have talked to tell me that you should be able to get through most stuff with just a rear locker. Since I don't do any "real" offroading, the LSD should work out best for me. A locker, on the other hand, will give you even power to both wheels once it is engaged, no "if", "and"s, or "but"s about it... Either one will help your off-road experience.

Of course, a lift is usually the way most people go first. It automatically looks cooler. LSD/Locker is only cool if you tell someone you have it, or it does something amazing before their eyes.

If someone asks you to sell them some - "Just say NO" - Nancy Reagan
Old 05-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
georgev is on a distinguished road
georgev's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go past the 'tip'......well.....I guess it depends how drunk she is!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #7

"dont go past the tip". LOL! too much.

Good stuff guys. i mean, its like you never really know til you get out there and go. So keep the comments coming in. 007tacoma, i really here what your saying on that.

Today is my second day working at my new Toyota dealership. I am hoping to start taking to the techs and find out some neat tricks. I transferred to this dealership through my company that has several dealerships w/ several brands. I used to sell dodges. now i sell Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Toyota. obvously toyota is my favorite. I have only been w/ the company 2 months . so still real new overall.

So anyway, I am still trying to find out how far to push my pickup w/ in reason. I also have moved to a town that has many lakes w/ good fishing. my dad has a boat that is about 2500 lbs including the trailer. Can i tow that w/ in reason?

So How far can i go . and how much and i tow. (don't mind the ryming)lol
Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
You can tow up to 3500 pounds. I believe 350 of that can be tongue weight.

I have a 15.5' bass boat that hauls spectacular. If I'm going through hills I don't dare shift it out of 3rd gear, but other than that she does real good

There is not transmission cooler or temp light on our model that I know of so how long and how hard I'm not able to answer.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #9

ok. sweet! thanks