1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

e locker rear end swap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by K Porz, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    K Porz

K Porz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Monster
    FabTech Lift WeatherTech floor lines Wet Okole seat covers Angle brackets in bed 4 motorcycle tie downs
    Can I pull the rear end off of a 08 TRD with e locker and put it on my 08 standard taco?

What should I be looking for in the TRD rear end that will mate it into my taco?

I noticed some people talking down about the TRD e lockers, what are some other opinions?

Thanks

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    K Porz

K Porz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Monster
    FabTech Lift WeatherTech floor lines Wet Okole seat covers Angle brackets in bed 4 motorcycle tie downs
    The TRD owner is putting in an after market rear end and is wanting to sell his TRD rear end for pratically nothing. So even though I would prefer to go with the aftermarket the costs really seem to add up.

Without modifying the differential case, are there aftermarket lockers that just slip in?

3. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    The TRD has an 8.4in housing and the standards have a 8. Some one correct me if im wrong but you would have to replace the whole axle and then the wiring for it.

There are a couple aftermarket lockers out there. ARB makes good lockers, you need an "onboard Air" setup to run those. Richmond gears makes a lockright and a no slip locker thats always on, but you have to adjust your driving style slightly with those.

Toy02ota4x4#3.4L likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    They're both 8" differentials iirc. The non TRD axle is often mistakenly called an 8.4" even though it is an 8". The non TRD axle stonger than the TRD axle though.

5. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods

It's the opposite. The e locker is a 8" housing and everything else is a 8.4" housing. Although the gears are 8" in each housing.

6. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Go with the ARB- the E-lockers are fine, but to do a swap out is alot of work. Our non TRD OR trucks have a larger rear end diff then the TRD OR E-locker diff is. (an earlier post was incorrect) So, arguably you would have a larger, or stronger and better rear end with a instant on/off locker option with a ARB installed. If you go online, you tube has videos of a typical ARB locker install, and its a "simple" install compared to all the work required to do a swap out. I'd say a 2-3 hr job vs a whole day + for someone who knew what he was doing. The ARB may be my next move... :spy:

7. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    As others pointed out, its axle plus all the electronics and wiring. To me installing ARB is easier then the swap. Maybe if you get absolutely everything. How much he wants for it ?

Cheapest locker (auto-locker) for non TRD is less then $300 and its easy install

ARB (top of the line selectable locker is $800 plus cost of install) install is not very easy but dooable if you have mechanical skills and press.

8. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Thats assuming you know how to set a gear lash. If the rack and pinion is too tight or too loose it will end up in blown rear end...lol

9. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    That's way I said a "simple" install, with "someone who knew what he was doing". ;)

10. Jun 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Meh its only parts :drevil:
    BTW you mean Ring and Pinion

EDIT: and contrary to popular belief its not that hard to setup gears. It requires a lot of patience, but its not technically challenging.

11. Jun 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    K Porz

K Porz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Monster

From what I have gathered he wants $450 for the whole rear axle and I think it includes the brakes, he said he has the push button and wires, I'm also assuming it comes with the ECU as well. I'm going out to look at it later, so im trying to gather as much info. and other possible options before then.

Thanks for all the good input and links everyone’s been dropping.

12. Jun 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    $450 is a hella of a deal for the WHOLE axle! I would jump on it...

13. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    K Porz

K Porz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Monster
    I got it and he even tossed in the font diff, so i don't have to worrie about the gears matching up. Thanks for all the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top