View Poll Results: Undercover Classic Vs Undercover SE
Classic undercover 11 50.00%
SE undercover 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
baldy54 is on a distinguished road
baldy54's Tacoma Gallery
undercover classic vs undercover SE

I am getting a undercover for sure for my 06 dbl cab. I Do not know which one to get the classic or the SE?? That is why i put a poll up to see which one is the most common to buy..and which one is the best to buy..
Old 06-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Greywolf is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
Greywolf's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the SE and had it painted to march the truck looks great and like the looks. the only draw back is it can be a PITA to put on.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy54 View Post
I am getting a undercover for sure for my 06 dbl cab. I Do not know which one to get the classic or the SE?? That is why i put a poll up to see which one is the most common to buy..and which one is the best to buy..
The original black cover ($600) looked great right out of the box with many of the Tacoma colors. If the black looks good on your truck, I would get this one. The SE is a more "stylish" looking top, and I would probably only consider this one if I were to want to color match. I believe the manufacture did not recommend painting the original one for some reason, so the SE may be the best option if you wanted to paint match.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
JoeBama has a spectacular aura aboutJoeBama has a spectacular aura about
Name: Joe
JoeBama's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the SE. I like the looks better and the single keyed latch. However, be aware that the raised "spoiler" along the back will hold some water and possibly pour down the front when raised.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Adam3612 is on a distinguished road
Adam3612's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Undercover SE, it was pretty easy to put on and I think it looks great on my '11 DC LB. If you're interested in a painted cover go with the Undercover SE Smooth, it's identical to the SE but comes ready to paint so there is no prep/sanding before paint.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up with the classic and am very happy. The styling of the SE I was just never too sure about. I liked the hinges and lock that came on the SE and wish Undercover had made them on the Classic also, but the regular hinges and two locks don't seem to be a problem on the classic. SE comes in the original textured black finish and a smooth version(must be painted which means more $$). Classic only comes in the textured black.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
High Pockets is on a distinguished road
Name: Fred
High Pockets's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the SE, liked the single lock and hinges. A bonus I found out later was that I didn't need to remove the bed mounted hardware to install my Bestop.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
JWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JWC's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my Undecover SE on my 2010 dbl cab Sport for a few weeks now. I really like it. My truck is black - and I thought the black plastic SE looked pretty good on it - kind of matches the black pastic bed rail caps and the plastic cover on the rear bumper. I've seen trucks with the Undercover SE Smooths on them and they also look really good with the cover painted to match the truck. However, I believe the paintable smooth versions of these covers are quite a bit heavier. The undercover SE on my dbl cab only weighs ~55 lbs - and the way it mounts to the existing bed rails makes it really easy to take off - it even come with hooks you can mount to your garage wall to hang the cover on if you need to take it off.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
JWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JWC's Tacoma Gallery
BTW - I think the classic looks good too. I went with the SE because I liked the single lock - and I thought the little bit of extra styling on the SE looked good with my TRD Sport. The place I got the cover from gave me the same price for both the SE and the Classic. If the Classic had been a little cheaper - maybe $50 bucks, or more, less - I would have gotten it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWC View Post
BTW - I think the classic looks good too. I went with the SE because I liked the single lock - and I thought the little bit of extra styling on the SE looked good with my TRD Sport. The place I got the cover from gave me the same price for both the SE and the Classic. If the Classic had been a little cheaper - maybe $50 bucks, or more, less - I would have gotten it.
Looking at the black too, prefer the single lock one...any chance you can post a few pics?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
Looking at the black too, prefer the single lock one...any chance you can post a few pics?
Here's my '11 DC SB with the undercover classic. I was considering the SE as well at the time, but like the more "plain" look. Very happy with it.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
aphex
cover matches the bumper cover, your truck looks great! iI'm thinking this texture would be less maintenance than color match surface? thanks for posting the pic
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
I absolutely love my Undercover Classic. I have had it for 2 years. The only reason I would recommend the SE is because of the hinges. With the classic, in order to be able to remove it without effort, the back has to hang a little bit off the tailgate IMHO. If you push it up to give it a more "flush" look, you have to move the brakets back in order to take them off. Still love it and wouldn' t change it out for anything else!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
aphex
cover matches the bumper cover, your truck looks great! iI'm thinking this texture would be less maintenance than color match surface? thanks for posting the pic
Thanks. Can't speak for the smooth color-matched surface, but the standard matte black finish that comes with the Classic doesn't require any maintenance at all. My dad has had one on his GMC for ~5 years and it still looks pretty much new.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
not junior member
jeanyves is on a distinguished road

jeanyves's Tacoma Gallery
got the undercover se on the way,liked the style a bit more and 1 latch will be easier to handle when you gotta hand full of beer and nachos
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know the exact difference with the hinges between classic and sc?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Sigo is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
Sigo's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the SE and prefer it over the classic for a couple of reasons. I prefer the look of the SE and I like the single lock.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
They should make the classic with a single lock mechanism. I love the simple, functional look of the classic. This was the first thing I bought for m truck. Still on there. I can remove and install it by myself if the need arises. It is always desert dry in there.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
NEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedNEAScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
NEAScott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdotz View Post
does anyone know the exact difference with the hinges between classic and sc?

The difference between the hinges depends on the cover model and/or the year of the truck.

The Classic has both. Newer model trucks use the SE Style hinge. Older models had the tab/slot style secured with a spiral ring. CLASSIC INSTALL

The SE covers all use the newer style hinge. These are similar to the hinges on the hood of the truck. SE INSTALL