1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2009 questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jantolov, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:10 AM
    jantolov

jantolov [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    First I would like to say that this is my first Tacoma and so far I really like it. 2009 Double Cab Off-Road. I do have a couple of questions..

I have approx 2500 milles on it to date. I have noticed that the rpms at idle seem a bit inconsistent. Between 600 - 1000 rpms. This is after the vehicle is fully warmed up. Sometimes at a light I can feel the truck lurch forward as it jumps from 600 - 900 rpms. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, sometimes the idle feels very smooth and other times vibrates the truck a good amount.

Secondly, is the TSB for the rear suspension applicable to the 2009s?

Look forward to learning more about the truck and this forum.

Jason

2. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Welcome to TW. The differance in the RPM alot of the time has to do with the AC compressor turning on and off. It may look off even when on defrost but the AC compressor is still working with the defrost. whick also leads to the learch foreward. no worries man its normal for alot of us here. all the TSB info can be found by searching Suspension TSB in the top blue bar search button.

3. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    So far, I think the 2009 is being covered if you find a good dealer. I have had my '09 for exactly a week today and I'm getting the TSB done Thursday. I checked the springs and they had the affected part numbers. I went in with that information and they didn't even question me.

I have read from this forum that some people have had issues (even on '08 models) but if you find a good dealer, I think you're ok.

4. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    The 2009's have new leaf springs in the rear, so the TSB isn't an issue.

5. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I think it's more of a case by case basis. Mine had the three pack springs and had the old part number on it. Maybe some were manufactured with those and other '09s with the 4-pack (or a better 3-pack).

6. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    It's a better 3-leaf spring. From my understanding based on what I've read here, they supposedly started going on in the middle of '08, and should be on all the '09s. You can look behind the wheel well on top of the spring using a camera, or mirror, and if the # on top ends with an 'F' as in fail, they're the bad springs, if it ends in 'G' they should be good.

7. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:18 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Ok I know I'm the odd ball here but I just checked and my 2008 has the "G" spring and my 2005 I sold had the TSB springs that Toyota is replacing.
    I really liked the ride and handling of my 2005 much better than my 2008.
    Does anyone have the old set of springs laying around???

8. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you might try talking to a few dealers around your area. They might just give them to you.

9. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I have "G" springs and my dealer is replacing them. You just need to find a good dealer. :D

10. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    well, then perhaps I was mislead by the previous post on here regarding the springs. I haven't loaded mine up with more than 400lbs, and it handled that fine. In fact, I drive through 3 deep "dips" on my commute every day, and my truck has never bottomed out on them. The ride isn't "harsh" at all. My co-worker with a 2007 DC SR5 has had all sorts of problems though... the ride in his truck is terrible, but he just hasn't had time to get the TSB done.

11. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    I thought the "G" springs were the post TSB springs???

12. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    There are no letters indicated on the part numbers on the actual TSB. Mine has a G but is getting replaced Thursday.

13. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I actually compared mine against the part numbers, and I have the 48220-04190-G and 48210-04550-G springs :confused: I really haven't had any problems with the ride to this point, and nothing like my co-worker's '07, which is really bad, but he doesn't have the billstein shocks. Now, I feel the urge to load the back up and drive it thru the dips by my house to see if it bottoms out... I drive through the things everyday and it hasn't bottomed out on me once to this point :confused:

14. Oct 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I haven't had any problems either (haven't even put anything in the bed yet), but I'm wanting the "free lift" I'll get out of the back (I've read anywhere from .75"-1.5"). I'm going to be lifting the front in a couple of weeks, so I will sort of get half the lift for free... :)

15. Oct 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    rachunter

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    You do know you will get a stiffer ride.... right?

16. Oct 13, 2008 at 1:06 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yep. The front end lift will stiffen it up too.

17. Oct 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Hmmmm... I put a topper on mine, and that effectively leveled the truck. If I got the TSB done, I imagine all I would need to do is put 5100's in the front.

18. Oct 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    From what I've heard people get the 5100s and set them to 1.75". With no load in the back it levels the truck out.

19. Oct 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    i have a 09 tacoma, do I need change my tsb too? what's tsb stands for anyway?
    and where do I find that part # to see if I need it change? thx

20. Oct 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top