Roll-N-Lock owners/users.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
jpowers is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jpowers's Tacoma Gallery
Roll-N-Lock owners/users.

Hi,

Question for anyone that has a Roll-N-Lock cover on thier bed. I have been looking at covers for over a week now, and think I have it narrowed down to a hard rollup cover. Looking at a m-series roll-n-lock or a truckcoversusa american roller.

My biggest concern with the roll-n-lock system is the vinyl cover over the aluminium how rugged is it? Would I have to worry about putting anything on top of it, and tearing it?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
soflo is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter Paramedic
Name: Bobby
soflo's Tacoma Gallery
bump.. .Any opinions guys? I am in the market for one of these as well..
Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is pretty good after about 2 years however I dont put anything on top of it. It looks kinda faded by the sun so I wonder how long the vinyl will hold up meself. Check out the retrax bed covers they don't have the vinyl on top and are a roll up metal cover almost identical to the roll and lock. Im not sure if Retrax make a cover for the tacoma though.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
Bizarroterl's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a TCU roll cover for a couple years now. Still looks like new.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
I was asking questions about Tonneaus to and i think when i do its going to be the Bakflip roll bak, looks pretty solid, try look up that one.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
I don't recommend any of the hardcover Roll bed covers. I used to have the BAK rollback cover and when not in use I lost so much bed space. Like 12 inches when rolled up.

I returned it after a week and got the BAK G2 BACflip. I highly recommend it. It's very strong when I stand on it. Holds up to 500 pounds. It's flush, only drawback is it uses the bed rails for install. But I just added extra d-rings in the bed so I am good.

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A2808A0A0.aspx
Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for 3 years.

Pros:
-lockable cover
-bed readily available to use by rolling the unit back
-optional cargo divider available to integrate the unit

Cons:
-roll-n-lock unit takes up some space in the bed (it's like having a toolbox)
-not waterproof
-can be expensive
-can't use toyota's rail system
-constantly have to lubricate the rails

I'm getting rid of mine in the near future in favor of a camper shell because I so desire the extra cargo capacity.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaMtnMan View Post
I don't recommend any of the hardcover Roll bed covers. I used to have the BAK rollback cover and when not in use I lost so much bed space. Like 12 inches when rolled up.

I returned it after a week and got the BAK G2 BACflip. I highly recommend it. It's very strong when I stand on it. Holds up to 500 pounds. It's flush, only drawback is it uses the bed rails for install. But I just added extra d-rings in the bed so I am good.

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A2808A0A0.aspx
Hey was the Roll one water proof, were not to concerned about bed space cause its my wifeys truck, she just needs something to put all there shopping shit inside lol how is the g2 bakflip? is it pretty water tight?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the roll and lock isnít water proof. It keeps most of the rain out but does leak. I picked up a black plastic SUV box from Lowes to keep my tool bag and crawl suit in so it doesnít get wet. The box has come in handy. It keeps all my tools organized and itís easy to unload the back of my truck when needed.

Is that backflip cover water proof?? If so how hard is it to open? Pain in the ass? or Easy? If the backflip cover is water proof I would go with it over the roll and lock.

Back to the OP question. Roll and lock recommends using soap and water to clean the cover and spray it with a fabric protector as periodic maintenance. I think you would rip the cover pretty easy.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Hey was the Roll one water proof, were not to concerned about bed space cause its my wifeys truck, she just needs something to put all there shopping shit inside lol how is the g2 bakflip? is it pretty water tight?

I would almost go as far to say the g2 is water proof. I have never had water in the bed even at the carwash when closed. I have a tailgate lock too so my bed is locked up. I wouldn't buy any other cover cause I researched them all.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2r6 View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]... keep my tool bag and crawl suit in so it doesnít get wet.
WTH is a crawl suit?
(sorry to thread jack, but had to ask.)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
Bizarroterl's Tacoma Gallery
Lube? Leaking? Not with the TCU. Zero maintenance, super durable, looks great, and secure. I got a electric tailgate lock, so the back is almost always locked.

The TCU roll covers are expensive. But after 6 months and the 3rd stranger is asking about it you tend to forget the cost.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Senior NEWBIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaMtnMan View Post
I would almost go as far to say the g2 is water proof. I have never had water in the bed even at the carwash when closed. I have a tailgate lock too so my bed is locked up. I wouldn't buy any other cover cause I researched them all.
Was wondering too, does the tailgate lock interfere with the back up camera in the tailgate handle?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #15

mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post
WTH is a crawl suit?
(sorry to thread jack, but had to ask.)
Dickies cover alls. I crawl under houses.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2r6 View Post
Yeah the roll and lock isnít water proof. It keeps most of the rain out but does leak. I picked up a black plastic SUV box from Lowes to keep my tool bag and crawl suit in so it doesnít get wet. The box has come in handy. It keeps all my tools organized and itís easy to unload the back of my truck when needed.

Is that backflip cover water proof?? If so how hard is it to open? Pain in the ass? or Easy? If the backflip cover is water proof I would go with it over the roll and lock.

Back to the OP question. Roll and lock recommends using soap and water to clean the cover and spray it with a fabric protector as periodic maintenance. I think you would rip the cover pretty easy.

The Roll-n-Lock sure suites your long bed. In the shortbed, the Roll-n-Lock unit takes up a lot of space. It's like having a tool box in the back.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #17

mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
The Roll-n-Lock sure suites your long bed. In the shortbed, the Roll-n-Lock unit takes up a lot of space. It's like having a tool box in the back.

I bet it does. That what I didint like about the short bed. They look good though.

Products Discussed in this Thread