Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...

Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
MattDubs has a spectacular aura aboutMattDubs has a spectacular aura aboutMattDubs has a spectacular aura about

MattDubs's Tacoma Gallery
Question Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...

I know this has been beaten to death, I just did a few searches and nothing I found answered my question.

Ok let me start by saying: I have a 06' DCLB with a 6" Procomp lift. I bought it from my buddy who was being deployed overseas so I wasn't involved in the lift install, only know that it was done by a local shop. I am trying to remove my sway bar and got to looking at it and looks very easy, minus where it connects to the spindle... This is where I wish I was around so I could have seen how it was connected? Looks like its pressed into the spindle? If so.. how the F do I get it out of there? I can get the 6 bolts off no prob, but then Ill be left with the lower part of the SB still connected to my spindle bouncing around and getting in the way.

So my question is how do I get that part off of there? And I guess I should ask, I know most who run w/o a SB are also running Coilovers, I am not, just the spacer kit (Pro Comp 6" kit) would this be a bad idea?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
It should unbolt, but I haven't dealt with a 6" lift yet. The big question, though, is are you planning on using it offroad? If not, leave the bar on.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrotter View Post
It should unbolt, but I haven't dealt with a 6" lift yet. The big question, though, is are you planning on using it offroad? If not, leave the bar on.

Dunno how yours is but mine you take the bolt off and hammer it through so it breaks lose haha

Mine is 90% road but my sway bar hits my coils so its coming off
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
MattDubs has a spectacular aura aboutMattDubs has a spectacular aura aboutMattDubs has a spectacular aura about

I can snap a pic and post it but It doesn't unbolt, at least not from what I can see?

The Problem is the SB is rubbing REALLLLLY bad on the inside of my tires and cutting a groove. As you can imagine this sketches me out. I plan to change the tires and wheels to something a bit narrower the correct back spacing for the kit but money is tight so for now, this is my best option. Instead of getting spacers Id rather just take it off. I've read the pros and cons of running w and w/o and Id rather take it off.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Take a pic from front and back mine unbolt if Im not mistaken, running out to double check now
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Just loosen the nut leave it on just a couple of threads then hit it with a hammer to break it loose.

Hopefully a pic is worth a thousand words and helps.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #7

Ok in the 2nd pic you can see where its rubbing, Lucky me.
Attached Thumbnails
Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...-img_0038.jpg   Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...-img_0039.jpg   Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...-img_0041.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
Just loosen the nut leave it on just a couple of threads then hit it with a hammer to break it loose.

Hopefully a pic is worth a thousand words and helps.

Thanks, thats what I came up with when I looked into this at first but it seems that the Stock spindle has that^ option with the bolt all the way through. My Spindles are the ones that came with the Pro Comp kit and don't seem to have that same set up. I guess because the lower link came with the kit and is different then the stock one?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

...Unless its behind the brake line bracket in the 3rd pic and Im just not seeing it?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDubs View Post
Thanks, thats what I came up with when I looked into this at first but it seems that the Stock spindle has that^ option with the bolt all the way through. My Spindles are the ones that came with the Pro Comp kit and don't seem to have that same set up. I guess because the lower link came with the kit and is different then the stock one?
In that case, it may be that you have to undo the top link and unscrew it from the spindle??? Can you pull your tire off and get a better pic/look at it?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
see if you can take off the sway bar relocation deal on the actual lift and see if that works.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #12

^^ yeah thats the plan for tomorrow morning. Im over dealing with it tonight.

I was thinking about taking the sway bar off and getting it out of the way then trying to pry on it to see if it moves but it has to be pressed in or maybe a c clip under the little boot that I am just not seeing..
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
^^ yeah thats the plan for tomorrow morning. Im over dealing with it tonight.

I was thinking about taking the sway bar off and getting it out of the way then trying to pry on it to see if it moves but it has to be pressed in or maybe a c clip under the little boot that I am just not seeing..
the sway bar on my truck when i took it off only too 4 bolts.. 2 on the spindle and 2 underneath. one side is an open end and it slides out. i dont know what your problem could be
Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #14

hmmm. yeah mines different than that. I have 4 bolts on the frame in the front where the bushings are, one on the top link on each side, and then this issue at the lower link where it mates with the Pro Comp spindle.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Quote:
hmmm. yeah mines different than that. I have 4 bolts on the frame in the front where the bushings are, one on the top link on each side, and then this issue at the lower link where it mates with the Pro Comp spindle.
ya the 4 bolts that go onto the frame.. the 2 that were closets to the cab i took off then it slid off the other two towards the bumper.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #16

lol I just came across this on PC's website
Attached Thumbnails
Yes, another 2nd Gen Sway Bar question...-screen-shot-2011-06-25-8.51.13-pm.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
Quote:
lol I just came across this on PC's website
hahahah uh oh.. go fix it
Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #18

haha thanks for the help guys!

PS. I want your skid! Shocktaco make that?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Quote:
haha thanks for the help guys!

PS. I want your skid! Shocktaco make that?
yes sir
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #20

Niiiice I asked him about building me one but Florida is a Loooooong ways from Cali. so im sure shipping is gonna be a bitch.