Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you tow this?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Would you tow this?

Would you tow this trailer one time only, about 120 miles one way, without a weight distributing hitch?
We plan on buying that trailer, but I probably can't get the WDH before next (4th of July) weekend, and the campground is booked.
Basic specs:
- dry weight = 3,630 lbs
- tongue weight = 460 lbs (approx.)
- we would probably have about another 500lbs worth of "stuff" in the trailer, and some in the bed. So total trailer weight is probably just over 4,100 lbs or so.

Towing would be all flat terrain, down I-5. Would you do it? On the RV forum people said "no, no way". But hey, the people over there seem over-cautious. Has anybody here towed something similar without a WDH?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Truck have the towing package? and 4.0?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Yes, 4.0 with factory towing package and electric brake controller.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Why wouldnt you be able to our trucks are rated at 6500lbs?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Just concerned about sway. Short wheel base on the DC short bed. Looking for some real life experiences here with something similar.
The WDH basically distributes the trailer tongue weight to all axles, taking some away from the trucks rear axle and putting that to the truck's front axle & the trailer axles. Much better handling with that.
But what most concerns me is sway.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Super Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Just concerned about sway, and overloading the rear axle. Short wheel base on the DC short bed.
Mines done outstanding on towing. Just dont tow in over drive haha
Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the tow hitch stage 3 or whatever and the 4.0

I'd do it

<--- I said I WOULD do it, Im not telling you to do it or not thats up to you.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it, personally, just know the risk involved and be mindful of course.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a 3,500lb dump trailer that I tow when doing home projects. I have had it loaded with 3 yards of bark and driven through town (not sure of how much weight that is). I can definitely tell it is back there, but I really like how my truck pulls it. I think 4,100 lbs is very doable. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
max tongue load is 650 lbs and towing capacity is 6500

you WILL be fine
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I pull a trailer very close to that size. I bought it about 100 miles away and pulled it back without a WDH, it did fine but definitely seemed to 'push' the Taco around a little. I've always used the WDH every time since.

My call: go for it, slow down a bit, get your rear tire PSI close to the max recommended. Do your best to pack with heavy suff lowest; if you can get water at camp, drive there dry, etc.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have towed boats that weigh more than that at 70mph on the freeway with no problem. If you dont have the rear spring TSB or some differant springs you will end up being a bit nose high in the ground but you should be fine. The truck will bog a bit going up hills but you will be fine.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Yeah, I think it will most likely work ...
The difference between travel trailers and utility trailers or boats is that you are pretty much trying to tow a wall. The wind resistance is as bad as the weight. That especially applies also to side winds, which will give the trailer the urge to sway.
I'll report back next week. :-)
EDIT: And thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 14x8 enclosed trailer as well when I go to the dunes and race track with buddies. Much lighter but also like towing a giant wind sail, you will be fine. Just watch for windy areas.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
yes
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I would-

Last Oct I pulled a 5x8 Uhaul trailer (loaded weight justover 5k) from WA state through the passed in MT. Down to CO and across throughMO and finally to NJ. I had literally no issues and was even able to maintainthe speed limit going up all the passes through Idaho and Montana. It onlybecame a little squirrely going down a couple of the larger passes. Slowed downwhen needed and the trailer calmed down. I was actually very surprised by howwell it towed!

(I have 4.0 w/tow package)
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
utahskierdave is on a distinguished road
utahskierdave's Tacoma Gallery
You should have no problems towing that rig....if your brake controller (get a prodigy) allows you to activate the trailer brakes only via a switch on the controller just tap that whenever you see the trailer start to sway and that should bring it back in line. My wife and I are thinking of buying a trailer just like the one you will be towing...let me know how you like it...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
As long as you have teh 4.0 and two... sure. If thats thing is a single axle trailer, would I tow it, HELL NO. I hate single axles....

Dual axle in a heartbeat. You will hardly feel that trailer behind you.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahskierdave View Post
You should have no problems towing that rig....if your brake controller (get a prodigy) allows you to activate the trailer brakes only via a switch on the controller just tap that whenever you see the trailer start to sway and that should bring it back in line. My wife and I are thinking of buying a trailer just like the one you will be towing...let me know how you like it...
Will do, we just bought the trailer.

Thanks everybody for your replies, very encouraging .... !