Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame rusted through club

Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Frame rusted through club

Well I investigated bubble that I found doing wheel bearing last week. Turns out its not simple surface rust. Its frame rusting through inside. Picture says all. Its not official hole yet but it will be soon.
On the pic you can see area where rust is coming out, surrounding metal is nice and even, rusted metal is all pitted. I painted that spot few times and cleaned but its just keeps coming out. Now short of taking grinder I can not remove rust because its rusted through. I took pictures and will be calling Toyota corp on Monday. But my 2gen officialy had joined my 1gen in crap frame fest..
Also I officialy start 2gen "Frame rusted through" club

Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
utahskierdave is on a distinguished road
utahskierdave's Tacoma Gallery
that sucks!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Don't forget where you live man... a little 5 dollar can of undercoating probably would have kept this from ever happening. Can't blame it on all Toyota if you ask me. I'd hope they'll take care of you though. Rust cannot happen if it doesn't have oxygen.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
i buy a can of undercoat and spray mine about every 6 months,no rust
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Don't forget where you live man... a little 5 dollar can of undercoating probably would have kept this from ever happening. Can't blame it on all Toyota if you ask me. I'd hope they'll take care of you though. Rust cannot happen if it doesn't have oxygen.
No offense but $5 can of undercoating is only good as substitute for KY ..
Look at my frame I have multiple coats of paint. Look at metal surrounding it, it does not even have surface rust, so what I painted works excellent. However this is rusting from within the metal. Maybe due to some different metal embedded into the frame. Who knows but this is nto surface rust hence no amount of undercoating or painting is going to help here. The only way to fix it is to grind the thing and fill the hole with new metal. But then Toyota is going to wash their hands.
Not sure what to do, should I paint it or leave it like that and go to dealer.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'd at least take it to the dealer and have it documented for future
Old 06-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
You can ONLY BLAME TOYOTA.that rust is coming from underneath the paint so undercoating isn't going to help.It is only an 07 not a1940. Why didn't they fix this problem with the 2nd gens when they knew it from 1st gens? My 08 was really really bad.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
You can ONLY BLAME TOYOTA.that rust is coming from underneath the paint so undercoating isn't going to help.It is only an 07 not a1940. Why didn't they fix this problem with the 2nd gens when they knew it from 1st gens? My 08 was really really bad.

Rust cannot exist without oxygen. FACT. Iron Oxide, its in the name.

So if you are to blame it on toyota, then you are saying the stock paint is not good enough. It is your responsibility to maintain the truck. Blast, sand, rough it up, whatever, then prep and paint. I've been doing it on mine every year now. Takes very little time utilizing the rattle can method. I always get a little rust around the seams at the end of a year, but certainly nothing major! Its periodic maintenance. Rust happens.

You can't stand around, watching your truck rust before your eyes then blame it on someone else. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here but shit like this bugs me, especially the New Englanders, look where the hell you live. Its worse than me driving on the beach EVERYDAY.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The stock frame paint is NOT good enough - FACT

My 09's frame was covered in rust after one winter , chunks of paint falling off after 2
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Not for nothing, but preventative maintence on a $30,000+ truck, shouldnt include scraping and painting the frame every year. Toyota should fix this problem. How many tacomas do you see on the road everyday, and I bet most of them dont even know what a dipstick looks like, never mind the frame rusting.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Not for nothing, but preventative maintence on a $30,000+ truck, shouldnt include scraping and painting the frame every year. Toyota should fix this problem. How many tacomas do you see on the road everyday, and I bet most of them dont even know what a dipstick looks like, never mind the frame rusting.
My point is, he's in New England, I don't think you guys even get to see how bad the roads are there. Its like constantly leaving your truck on a beach all day. Preventative maintenance for ANYONE in the New England area should include cleaning your frame thoroughly at least once a week and treating it once a year. During the winter the roads are constantly WHITE, and we're not talking snow, its all salt!

Like I said to others times and time again on this forum, if you can't drive or maintain your truck, then you have no business owning a truck.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Hard for me to weigh in on this. My frame requires more maintenance than I like...hell, my whole truck requires more maintenance than I like...but then if you look at how I use it, that should be expected.

New England is hell on vehicles. This is a known fact.

That said, I don't consider sanding and touching up a few places on the truck once a year a crime either.

This debate will continue to rage...the only way we're gonna know if 2gen frames are any better than 1gen frames is when 2gens are 15+ years old. Until then, this is all academic.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Like I said to others times and time again on this forum, if you can't drive or maintain your truck, then you have no business owning a truck.

I don't live in New England , I live in Canada .

None of the other vehicles I have owned have exhibited rust after 6 months .

Nothing to do with me or whether or not you think I qualify to own a truck , it has to do with Toyota's shit paint job they put on these trucks .
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Toyota should incorperate this into there R&D..Dontchathink?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
kinda looks like the paint you've been applying might be holding water. get some POR-15 and be done with it
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Brian,

You like cashing those Toyota check's for blog entries? Just a few more and the truck will be paid off right.

I looked over my manual a few times. Can you point me to the section where it tells me to repaint the frame. I keep missing it.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I don't live in New England , I live in Canada .

None of the other vehicles I have owned have exhibited rust after 6 months .

Nothing to do with me or whether or not you think I qualify to own a truck , it has to do with Toyota's shit paint job they put on these trucks .

He owns an 07, thats nearly 5 years old now. If I had a nickel for everytime I heard a rant about 'toyotas shit paint job' or 'fords paint peeling' or any other company for that matter I'd be rich by now. I do not dispute that the paint on the frames sucks, but any monkey with a wrench can look under his truck the next time he changes his oil and inspect for any spots that may need preventative maintenance. I do it EVERY TIME I do an oil change.

A bubble in the paint of that magnitude could have been caught probably a year before, and it would have never been a serious issue.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know how long it took them to recall the first gens?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do not dispute that the paint on the frames sucks
Well , that's what I said .

Glad we agree