Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

7 pin to 4 pin harness/adapter

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
TacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoDawgs's Tacoma Gallery
7 pin to 4 pin harness/adapter

I am the proud owner of a brand new (to me anyway) 2008 Tacoma 4x4 OR w/tow package as of yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Since the truck was used it didn't come with the 7pin to 4pin wiring harness that comes with new trucks (or at least I haven't found it). I know there is also a 7pin to 4pin adapter. So here's my probably stupid question so go easy...what the hell is the difference between the harness and adapter and do I need both? Thanks alot.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
No you don't need both since your truck already comes with a 7 pin plug and wiring harness. The 7 - 4 pin adapter just allows you to connect the two.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
NAPA

You should be able to go to your local NAPA store and get the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter plug
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
You should be able to go to your local NAPA store and get the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter plug
This^^^
10-15 bucks at any auto parts store.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
TacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoDawgs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. Quick question though, what is the 7-4 pin wiring harness and what's it use for?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Roamer
95tojo is on a distinguished road
95tojo's Tacoma Gallery
The 7 pin "RV" plug includes brake lights, running lights, turn signals, powered brakes and back up lights. The 4 pin harness just has brake lights, turn lights, and running lights.

If i was you i would just cut the 4 pin off and wire up a 7 pin adapter to your trailer so you don't have to worry about an adapter between the two
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Quick question though, what is the 7-4 pin wiring harness and what's it use for?
It's not a harness. It's an adapter plug. It has 7 female pin holes on one end and 4 on the other.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If you do go the adapter route, get the one with LED indicator lights on it. It'll easily identify if you have a trailer or truck wiring/light issue.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
It's not a harness. It's an adapter plug. It has 7 female pin holes on one end and 3 female/1male on the other.
Fixed for ya.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
If you do go the adapter route, get the one with LED indicator lights on it. It'll easily identify if you have a trailer or truck wiring/light issue.
Good advice here...

although everyone of my issues has always been on the trailer end.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Fixed for ya.
Hey thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Question has been kind of answered so a mini-hijack might be ok but...

I also have a 08 tacoma i bought used and it has tow package. I see the guy installed a electronic brake controller screwed to my drivers side console thing.

If the factory 7 pin includes a electric brake pin, does Toyota just not include a controller from the factory ? Or how does that all work ?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
My pee parts itch

Quote:
I also have a 08 tacoma i bought used and it has tow package. I see the guy installed a electronic brake controller screwed to my drivers side console thing.

If the factory 7 pin includes a electric brake pin, does Toyota just not include a controller from the factory ? Or how does that all work ?

Thanks!
No, you have to buy the controller but there is a plug under the dash.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
fastboy559 is on a distinguished road
fastboy559's Tacoma Gallery
i just bought a new 11 with tow package is it supposed to come with the adapter to 4 pin
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought this one....
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47345-...5214777&sr=8-2
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
Flyfisher22 will become famous soon enough
Name: Cameron
Flyfisher22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy559 View Post
i just bought a new 11 with tow package is it supposed to come with the adapter to 4 pin
Mine did not and my buddies did not. Both 2011 DC Off Road TRD's

Cam
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Rodallg is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Rodallg's Tacoma Gallery
Walmart has them cheap.

Products Discussed in this Thread