1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dead battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by old dad, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    old dad

old dad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    sc
    Vehicle:
    tacoma pickup
    n/a
    Yes what the title said. My truck was only 16 months old, got an emergency call about my dad in the hospital, ran out jumped in the truck, yep battery was dead. I was not near my selling dealer, nor even close to a toyota dealership.
    Do ya'll think my dealer will reimburse me for the battery, or should I just forget about it. Also my radio/cd is cutting off by itself when the truck has been sitting in the sun.

mark

2. Jun 27, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Do you have a volt meter? It would be a good tool to put in your toolbox. With the truck turned off what is the battery voltage? A fully charged battery should be about 12.6 volts or higher. If you are in the 12.3 or lower range your battery is probably done. Don't forget that a corroded battery terminal will prevent enough amperage getting to the starter. Make sure the terminals are clean before doing anything else.

Start the truck on a charged battery (or jump it and remove the jumper cables) and let it run a couple of minutes. Check it again and the voltage should be about 13.5 volts or higher. If not then you have a problem with the charging system. If the charging system is good then your battery is toast.

I'm sorry but a hot engine bay is about the worst place for a lead acid battery. Battery technology just isn't good enough yet and batteries are a consumable item like oil and gas. Don't waste your money on an Optima or other fancy name. It may last 10% longer for 50% more money. A Walmart/Sears/Autozone/Pepboys will work just fine. Look for the starting amperage rating and cost. Cheap electrons are exactly the same as expensive electrons.

Also if you ever run down a starting battery (not deep cycle) to dead you really damage it. If that's been done a few times your battery won't last much more than a year or 2.

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    It should be full replacement warranty for the first 24 months, and pro-rata after that.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    OP, now that you have replaced the battery has the radio stopped dying?

5. Jul 3, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    old dad

old dad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    sc
    Vehicle:
    tacoma pickup
    n/a
    no the radio is wacky after the truck has been sitting in the sun. After a mile or two with the air running it mostly plays ok.

mark

Products Discussed in

To Top