1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes seriously pissing me off!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by memario1214, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Okay, so a little backstory first... When I bought my truck (Sep '09) I could tell from the very get go that the brakes were the shits. I was getting some serious fade after using them on any given day and was getting a lot of pedal travel for very little stopping power. In May of 2010 I went to a local tire/repair place and had them install new rotors, pads, and shoes. Everything was all hunky dory until mid last summer...

The issue I now have is that my brakes make noise ALL OF THE TIME! When I jump in my truck in the morning and drive out of my parking spot, they are squeaking the entire way. I am not on the brakes at all during this time. Then for the first 4 or 5 stops they will be very loud. After that, squeaking when turning kind of tapers off, but I get some squeaking every time I think about touching the brakes. I can seem to figure out what it would be... I took the truck into the place that did the work about 6 months ago and all they did was accuse me of riding my brakes. Leads me to wonder if maybe my brakes are dragging, and have been this whole time!? All of this noise comes just from the front brakes, not the shoes in back. Does anyone have any insight or something that will help me? :annoyed: :help:

2. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Rocks stuck in pads?? :S

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The place should have bled the brakes so they shouldn't have been dragging the whole time (shouldn't being the operative word). Are the pads shot already after 6 months? What kind of pads and rotors did you have installed? It sounds like your pads are shot already based on the mechanic accusing you of riding the brakes. Some pads have little metal tabs that wear on the rotor when the pad is worn down. It makes an awful sound but lets you know they need to be changed.

If you think it could be a rock in the pads, go in reverse and hit the brakes, that can help get rocks out. You may have to pull a wheel and have a look at what's happening. Another option, re-bleed the brakes and see if it helps (doubtful but it's a cheap fix if it works).

4. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Brakes only need bled when you open the system. ie. replace a line, master or wheel cylinder or caliper.

Inspect the pads. Look to see if the wear indicator is touching or near the rotor(small peice of metal attached to the pad. If the pad indicator is nowhere near the rotor, you have a lubrication/shim issue.
    Shims are normally used between the pad and rotor to dampen the noise created from pad oscillation during braking. Caliper grease can be used instead or in combination. Eventually the grease works it's way off or becomes caked. This is most likely your problem.

Clean everything with brake cleaner, relube the backs of the pads and the grooves where the pads ride, and reassemble. DO NOT get caliper lube on the pad's friction surface or the rotor.

DO NOT Bleed your brakes, unless you have introduced air into your system. You will be creating a new headache for yourself.

5. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Any explanation as to why I am getting squealing (definitely from my brakes) when I let the truck sit for a while (overnight, work shift, etc.) and then start rolling again?

6. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    2010...brakes are bad..almost hit a few cars already, cause the thing won't stop!

7. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Most likely they installed wrong pads or installed them wrongly ..
    Also the lower pin rusts and allows brakes to be be stuck. it could be a problem too.

8. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You make it sound like bleeding your brakes is a bad thing... There's nothing wrong with bleeding them. I've always bled mine when I replaced the pads and rotors. You're correct that it's not necessary, but certainly not a bad idea. Some shops will tell you that it's not a bad thing to do every so often because the fluid next to the pads constantly gets hot from the brakes and it does not cycle through the lines. Bleeding every so often forces out the old fluid.

OP, I think you need to pull the wheel and inspect the pads and see how much wear you have left. If there's a lot of pad left, follow skytower's recommendation and clean everything out.

9. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    ncsilver06

ncsilver06 Member

Member:
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver SR5 4WD SB
    Lighted paint-matched running boards, ARE hard tonneau cover, dual chrome exhaust, CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror, EGR in-channel rain guards, 4x4 illuminated light switch (rcbs204)
    The squeal you hear first thing in the morning is probably the pads rubbing off a thin layer of rust that has formed overnight on the rotors. This can happen especially with semi-metallic pads and if the truck is parked outside and the weather is humid or rainy.

10. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    A bleed is normally referred to as removing air from the lines. Purging fluid as you push in the piston is another story alltogether. It is a good idea to purge, it allows the wear items to escape instead of returning to the master cylinder. It is not necessary, and may introduce air into the system if done improperly.

Semi and metallic brakes squeal until they heat up, they wear the rotor more than all other brakes, but hold up better under heavy braking.
    Ceramic brakes are easier on rotors, and are more quiet. They wear faster under heavy braking than metallics.

When the shims are worn out, the anti-sqeal compound/caliper grease is caked up, or you have metallic brakes, they will squeal.

Products Discussed in

To Top