Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Satoshi with Homers mesh, color matched FJ letters and color matched TRD emblem

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
PeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud of

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi with Homers mesh, color matched FJ letters and color matched TRD emblem

After about a week of gathering parts and doing body work I finally have a Satoshi on my truck.

Started with the typical cutting, filling and sanding. Then I used a finishing putty to try and get a factory like appearance.

I only semi finished the back side

I used Loc-Tite 5 minute epoxy to attach the 10-24 threaded rod to the grill frame

Homers M3 mesh painted semi gloss black, topped with neoprene washers and 10-24 Stainless Acorn Nuts

FJ letters done following Cape Codders how-to but I epoxied the stud to the letter instead of tapping the letter itself. I filled the back of the letter to make it smooth, cut the studs to proper length then drilled the proper sized hole in the back of the letter to insert the threaded rod into the hole and epoxied it in.

Studs are not cut to length or epoxied in this pic but you get the idea

I picked up a TRD emblem off ebay and decided to color match it to the rest of the grill

Finished Satoshi and reinstalled on truck. Letters still needed some tweeking to get straight

Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
dude thats very nice. good job
Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
PeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud ofPeteH has much to be proud of

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDogg311 View Post
Looks good ... but id go without the TRD emblem. seems a little tooo much going on with it

I think you're right but I wanted to see how I like it with both
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
well keep both and just switch them out when you feel like you want something different
Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
xSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xSectionxEightx's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Looks good man
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good I like the FJ letters. I might have to steal them off of my chicks FJ...she's not using them.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job!...I like what you did with the TRD emblem. It looks like you separated out inner grill frame? How's that done?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Great job!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice job,

I want to do this, but stuck because I cant decide between an expensive Color matched grille, or leaving it chrome to save cash. Id much rather go color matched but $200+ for the radiant red grille!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
......... I finally have a Satoshi on my truck.

Finished Satoshi and reinstalled on truck. Letters still needed some tweeking to get straight

I Like It

Relocate Horns, Link in My Sig.
TRD Makes it too busy IMHO
One or the Other will look good
Nice thing about nuts and bolts,
you can swap emblems for a change

CC
Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #16

PeteH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
Nice job!...I like what you did with the TRD emblem. It looks like you separated out inner grill frame? How's that done?

There are a bunch of plastic tabs on the outer surround that go into the inner grill frame and are then melted over to prevent separation. I popped the melted tabs off with a flat screwdriver and separated the grill into its two individual pieces. This made it easy to do the paint and body work without messing up the factory paint on the surround.
The last step was to run beads of epoxy around the areas where the tabs were and on all flat areas where the two parts meet and clamp it all together until dry.
I used two coats of Dupli-color factory match paint and three coats of Krylon clear. The color isn't perfect but the factory paint on the surround and the rest of the truck wasn't a perfect match either
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 30 Yrs Logistics and Intel
Name: Bob
SeniorSpan's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent work, looks great. I don't see the TRD emblem as a distracter.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
looks great