1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AVOID LITHIA OF GRAND FORKS!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by silver09taco, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 AC TRD Off Road
    Toytec front bilstein/eibach coils cranked to 3.5", AP Rear 3" springs, OME rear shocks, AP front and rear bumpers, AP skids, AP CV boots, K&N CAI, Bestop supertop, 33" BFG KM2's, Dick Cepek wheels, Warn 8000 with synth. line
    Hi, all. Ive had my taco since 09. Have had zero problems with it until a couple weeks ago. The passenger side seat all of the sudden stopped latching for some reason. I take it in to be covered under warranty and the service "technician" starts feeding me a line of bullshit about how its broken because i pulled my carpet out (over a year and a half ago) and il have to pay for it. I refused and he quickly caved and said it would be warrantied (which seemed suspicious). He "fixed" the problem just enough so when i checked it out it seemed ok. 1 day later, seat broke again. I take it back in for repair and hear the same line of bullshit about the carpet and that they cant replace the rails without the approval of some guy in kansas city. Needless to say i called corporate and opened a case number. Corporate has no idea why he feels he has to call kansas city and is looking into it. If this doesnt get resolved to my liking then i have to say this will be my 1st and last toyota. Ive had better service from Jeep and Ford for much bigger repairs. All i hear is how awsome toyota customer service is. Not calling anybody a liar, but have yet to witness any sort of friendly service.

2. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Go back. Tell them to fix the problem or you'll open a case with the NHTSA about the failure of the seat latch mechanism. I bet you won't have to wait long for a fix.

edit: here's the form to use.

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    Toytec front bilstein/eibach coils cranked to 3.5", AP Rear 3" springs, OME rear shocks, AP front and rear bumpers, AP skids, AP CV boots, K&N CAI, Bestop supertop, 33" BFG KM2's, Dick Cepek wheels, Warn 8000 with synth. line
    Thanks for the link. im giving them til the end of this week to replace my seat rails. If they dont, then il file a complaint with the NHTSA. It really shouldnt have to come down to calling corporate or threats of safety violations tho. Toyota should step up and fix this ASAP. Like i said FORD and JEEP have been better at warranty work than toyota has so far :eek:. Its a shame too, the wife really wants a new 4Runner. Dnt think that'll happen. THANKS AGAIN!

4. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Wow, seriously? You think every dealership (regardless of manufacturer) is peaches and cream to deal with? Try again.

5. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    ^^This^^

Also, don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed too. But if you went in guns blazzing and angry then well.... you get more bees with honey then vinegar

6. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet

Bye. Enjoy your jeep.you like spending 2 days a month at the dealer??I don't care if they are nice or not.I think your being silly for 1 service at 1 dealer.

7. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    Black07Taco

Black07Taco Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4
    Knee jerk reaction to give up on Toyota over this. I've had good experiences with two different Toyota dealerships and their service departments.
    Either way, I'd rather have a Toyota than a Jeep or Ford regardless of which dealership service department is easier to work with.

8. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    I only see the dealer for oil changes. :)

9. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Lol give it time with that poopy motor. :D the good thing you could get a used motor cheap since so many people do hemi swaps. Btw I love the 4door wrangler

10. Jun 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    I def didnt go in guns blazing. i very politely told them the problem and got shafted in return. I cant get days off at a time to deal with a simple problem such as a seat latch. Im not completely blaming toyota for this yet. It could be the dealership. How corporate handles this could completely redeem the company. Im just saying its really sad when Jeep has shown up mighty toyota in customer service so far. I loved my jeep but will be the first to admit their build quality is sketchy at best. REGARDLESS, warranties shouldnt be this hard to use. Considering i paid over 30k for the truck.

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    In the last 20 years, and over 400k miles with Toyota trucks, also owning Dodge minivans, Vans, pickup, and now a Jeep Sahara in addition to the Tacoma, I have spent the least amount of time in the Toyota service waiting room.

The 96 Conversion Dodge Ram Van had a hard to pin down water leak soaking the carpet on the right side, the 94 Plymouth Voyager ate a transmission at 47k miles, the 07 Dodge Ram1500 wasn't driveable in the rain before new shocks, and wasn't driveable in the snow until after new tires. The 08 Jeep bought new in 09 has spent many a day at the dealer, the biggest issues was a locked steering issue, 6 speed popping out of gear and a failed TPMS sensor.

My 94 Toy Pickup NEVER went in during the 217k miles I owned it, and my 11 access cab hasn't been back.

One bad dealer or tech does not describe an entire company.

Howard

12. Jun 28, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    You're somewhat new here post-wise(I'm not saying I'm not either). Your experience is NOT the norm. If you search around here enough, you'll find that if a case has to be opened with Toyota Corpo, the issue is wayy more often than not resolved in favor of the customer. As others have already said - knee jerk reaction is flip out, but your experience with a single dealership does NOT translate to gospel to the rest of Toyota or the quality of the rest of the Taco's out there. Chalk it up to a bad experience (which can and does happen everwhere) and move on and enjoy your truck.

14. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    757southpaw

757southpaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    I was born in Grand Forks, ND....just sayin :rolleyes:

15. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Dealerships are independantly owned and operated. Service quality differs from shop to shop, but is generally good. There are a few bad apples. Haven't you noticed that a Burger King(for example) in one neighborhood is of a different quality than another?

Your header sums it up. Avoid that dealership, report them to the better business bureau, and find another dealership!

16. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    silver09taco

silver09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Grand Forks ND
    Vehicle:
    "One bad dealer or tech does not describe an entire company"

Toyota corporate called today and said they will most likely not cover the seat bracket (a 50$ part). I dnt know why they r making such a fuss about this seat bracket, but whatever. They lost all future business from me. I can only imagine the pain it is to have something large replaced (trans, axle, fan..etc) Id rather never find out. Even my dad who has bought 6 vehicles from toyota is extremely disapointed and will prob never purchase another one because of the decline in customer service. Im reporting this piss poor service to the BBB and will be going back to Jeeps (go ahead make jokes) when the time comes for a new vehicle.

17. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Bitching about a $50 part on a 2 year old vehicle, that's sad.

18. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If you want a REAL E ticket vehicle, Get a Dodge. You'll beg Toyota to allow you to buy a vehicle after 3 months....

19. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    OP, try again and express the overriding safety concern you have... A seat that will not stay locked in an accident is useless to a passenger and guarantees injury/death. I think they'll come around.

20. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    lol, x2

Products Discussed in