LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

valve tapping....

Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
valve tapping....

A few minutes ago, I dropped off a movie at Blockbuster and left my truck running (it was just across the street from where I parked). When I came back i was listening to the engine and i heard intermittent valve tapping. (tap, tap, tap, tap.............tap, tap, tap, etc). this was the first time i have really stopped to listen to the engine, but this worries me. Especially after that horror story i read that happened to one of the board members here.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Ted
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
2 things possible come to mind:

1) Manifold TSB http://markass.com/hosting/Exhaust_TSB.pdf

or

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t182494.html
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
more than likely,its the injectors ticking, which is normal. toyotas do have a louder valve train than others. i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I took a look at the TSB and it applies to '05-'06 Tacomas. I have an '07.

I did a cold start a few minutes ago and there was no tapping sound. Hmmm.

It just didnt sound right. It was extremely noticeable when I was standing on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the door. I opened the hood and it seemed to come from the valve case on the drivers side. However, if it was valve tapping, i guess it wouldn't be intermittent.

I dunno, maby im just being paranoid. As every day passes i love this thing more and more. I would freak if there was anything wrong.

Ted
Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
I've read some others had the tap issue with the 07' as well. However, mine is also an 07', and when it was new new I heard a 'diesel like' engine ticking, (almost like a bad idler or belt sound) however, it seemed to go away after switching to synthetic.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
Your hearing the same ticking noise all v6 Tacomas have. You'll see lots of post about it. When i first heard mine tick i took it to the dealer. We started up 3 different tacos on the lot. They all do it.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
GT88 is on a distinguished road
GT88's Tacoma Gallery
They do NOT all do it. I have witnessed several that do not do it. How damn far is this shit going to go??

If it were injectors it would do it immediately upon cold start up......PERIOD!!

Last time I knew, if a vehicle was running, warmed up or not the injectors were running also.

If your Tacoma ticks you've got problems.

Now lets chat about vibration on acceleration and deceleration shall we?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #8

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT88 View Post
Now lets chat about vibration on acceleration and deceleration shall we?
Mine runs smooth as hell.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #9

Mine accelerates and decelerates nice and smooth. Plenty of power . It only ticks sometimes. I have 7 year warranty so if the tick turns into something other than normal noise i have plenty of time to have it addressed. I'm not about to have a new truck , that runs great, torn apart due to paranoia.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
GT88 is on a distinguished road
GT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarian333 View Post
Mine accelerates and decelerates nice and smooth. Plenty of power . It only ticks sometimes. I have 7 year warranty so if the tick turns into something other than normal noise i have plenty of time to have it addressed. I'm not about to have a new truck , that runs great, torn apart due to paranoia.
Case in point bbarian. "It only ticks sometimes". If it were injectors as Toyota is feeding us it would always tick. I'll bet it is only ticking from the drivers side too.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #11

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
The 22R and 22RE's that i drove for decades always ticked. I think its just a toyota thing.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #12

yup . only the drivers side