1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1gr-fe waterproofing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bailerc, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    bailerc

bailerc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    so everytime i get my truck even the slightest bit wet (yesterday it happened to be a 2 foot river crossing, but with a rock bottom) my check engine light comes on and truck goes into limp home mode.. not a really big deal truck still gets everywhere it needs to was just wondering if anyone had some advice on where to look for sensors to start waterproffing, thanks in advance

2. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I'm assuming you have already invested in a snorkel....

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    bailerc

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    no, i dont ever hit anything that fast or deep .. i dont think its needed yet

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    If you are always going across 2ft of water I would...the stock intake is at the bottom of the fenderwell which Is about 2ft up if your arnt lifted

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    justinhw

justinhw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Turlock, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    If I were you I'd get a scanner and see what codes the truck is pulling - it will give you a good place to start

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    bailerc

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    a scanner would be the best bet .. i normally jsut clear it by removing the battery .. i know it was caused by something that was my fault , it also always clears right away so its not something that stays wet , and im running a 3" lift with 285/75/16 i had another foot or so because the intake is at the top of the right fender .. it will do it with smaller crossings too it seems like its something loer than the intake .. i was just curious if anyone else has fixed and issue like this or something similar

7. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    Get yourself some dielectric grease and go to town on all the connections you can find. Like unplug, spread grease over terminals, then reconnect. You can also do this on the spark plugs. Easiest way is to remove coil, put some grease in the end of it, then re-install. Thats assuming its not from you breathing water.

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Read the codes next time it happens. You can saran wrap the whole engine- and then find out that the problem is a leak in the exhaust or somewhere else.

If you don't know what you are trying to fix (in greater detail than "a CEL") you are just guessing.

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    An exhaust leak is most likely source I would think??

10. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    How would an exhaust leak cause this issue...?

11. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That was an off the wall example-but a soaked cat that is in poor/slowly failing could trigger the CEP until it dries out...or a leak high in the tubing (right near the 02 sensors) could short out/screw with the CEL until it dries out.)

My point is-The engine is already minimally waterproofed/weather resistant- so it's really the auxiliary components that need attention-cause I've forded 3+ feet with no lights- so there is an issue specific to the OPs truck...and knowing what that problem is will help with fixing it.

12. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    bailerc

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    thanks guys .. i'll look into the o2 sensor as well, i got it to come on again today, this time in about 8 inches, i did spin the tires a little, but was only in 2wd so it seems doubtful that im throwing water into the intake

Products Discussed in

To Top