Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1gr-fe waterproofing

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
1gr-fe waterproofing

so everytime i get my truck even the slightest bit wet (yesterday it happened to be a 2 foot river crossing, but with a rock bottom) my check engine light comes on and truck goes into limp home mode.. not a really big deal truck still gets everywhere it needs to was just wondering if anyone had some advice on where to look for sensors to start waterproffing, thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming you have already invested in a snorkel....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
no, i dont ever hit anything that fast or deep .. i dont think its needed yet
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
If you are always going across 2ft of water I would...the stock intake is at the bottom of the fenderwell which Is about 2ft up if your arnt lifted
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
justinhw's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you I'd get a scanner and see what codes the truck is pulling - it will give you a good place to start
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
a scanner would be the best bet .. i normally jsut clear it by removing the battery .. i know it was caused by something that was my fault , it also always clears right away so its not something that stays wet , and im running a 3" lift with 285/75/16 i had another foot or so because the intake is at the top of the right fender .. it will do it with smaller crossings too it seems like its something loer than the intake .. i was just curious if anyone else has fixed and issue like this or something similar
Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself some dielectric grease and go to town on all the connections you can find. Like unplug, spread grease over terminals, then reconnect. You can also do this on the spark plugs. Easiest way is to remove coil, put some grease in the end of it, then re-install. Thats assuming its not from you breathing water.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
An exhaust leak is most likely source I would think??
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
How would an exhaust leak cause this issue...?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco11 View Post
How would an exhaust leak cause this issue...?
That was an off the wall example-but a soaked cat that is in poor/slowly failing could trigger the CEP until it dries out...or a leak high in the tubing (right near the 02 sensors) could short out/screw with the CEL until it dries out.)

My point is-The engine is already minimally waterproofed/weather resistant- so it's really the auxiliary components that need attention-cause I've forded 3+ feet with no lights- so there is an issue specific to the OPs truck...and knowing what that problem is will help with fixing it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #12

bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys .. i'll look into the o2 sensor as well, i got it to come on again today, this time in about 8 inches, i did spin the tires a little, but was only in 2wd so it seems doubtful that im throwing water into the intake