1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma specs for a first purchase?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cmbb, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    cmbb

cmbb [OP] Member

Member:
    Gentlemen;

I am looking at purchasing a new crew cab short body 4x4 Tacoma. Wife and I will use it mostly on paved road with some gravel, not much. Occasional towing of bass boat, less than 20 miles. Should I have the tow package?

What other options would be good.

I don't need anything special. Just a good solid truck.
    Most of the mechanic work will be done by myself. Currently have a 1995 and 1999 Jeep cherokee. 1995 has 275,231 miles and 1999 has 176,000.
    I am looking for something reliable and have chosen to purchase the Tacoma.

Thank You

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I would get the tow package.

Other than that it's SR5, Off Road or Sport. If you don't plan on spending much time off road then the Sport would be the better choice... if you like the color matched trim and scoop hood. If you don't care about either of those, the SR5 with the tow package is nice and much cheaper. Then you can add the bits and pieces here and there that you do like but didn't get with the SR5.

3. Jul 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    cmbb

cmbb [OP] Member

Member:
    Fightnfire; Thank you!

What do you gain with the tow package?

4. Jul 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    aphex

aphex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
    Based on the original description/needs, I would get a base model 4x4 (because you're in Maine) and just throw a Reese hitch on it for towing. I think it would do just fine for a bass boat. That would save you some serious money over the other packages mentioned as well.

5. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    I cant remember if you can get the tow package on any of the base models but the added
    are well worth the package. It allows you to tow more weight then just adding a tow hitch.

It would also depend how big your bass boat is.

If you don't care about matching front bumper and chrome or matching grille (among other things) then a base model with tow package would be worth it. Personnally I went with the OR package with tow package just for the ease of having it all come at one time and not having to piece it together. Lots of others (MANY on here) by a fairly base model so they can put it all on themselves and be able to pick out exactly what they want. Really just depends how you want to look at it.

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    cmbb

cmbb [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys;

The offroad package comes with a heavier suspension?

I failed to mention I would probably have a cap on the body with canoe racks.

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Both the off road and sport come with Bilstein shocks. If there are other suspention features I am not aware of someone else will probably stop by and pipe in soon enough.

8. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Atrac

9. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    cmbb

cmbb [OP] Member

Member:
    Just wanted to say that I will most likely be buying a 2011Tundra dbl cab, paper work will be on tues.. The Tacoma would be more than adequate but I feel the Tundra will be a better fit for me. Then the rebates etc. helped in the decision.
    Thanks again!

10. Sep 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    I was looking at Tundras and decided to go with Tacoma, I got the Off Road TRD with tow package and never looked back. Tacoma does everything I need and I believe a Tundra would have been an over kill for me (I don't tow anything, besides an occasional 12x6 U-Haul trailer). Also it's a lot easier around town. But I do like how Tundras look. Good luck with the purchase and enjoy your Toyota!

Products Discussed in

To Top