Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Debating between a Tonneau Cover or Bed Cap

Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Okie Boy
okie7481 is on a distinguished road

okie7481's Tacoma Gallery
Debating between a Tonneau Cover or Bed Cap

I have been wanting to add either a tonneau or a cap to my 06' short bed for a while now, but having a tough time makin' up my mind! Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this decision? Any opinions are appreciated as always.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
can you fit all of your stuff under a tonneau? If you can, then I'd get the tonneau.

Personally, I don't like the blind spot or look of a shell, but there are times when I would like to have that much covered storage. I've been looking at picking up a cheap used one, and installing it when I need it.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
can you fit all of your stuff under a tonneau? If you can, then I'd get the tonneau.

Personally, I don't like the blind spot or look of a shell, but there are times when I would like to have that much covered storage. I've been looking at picking up a cheap used one, and installing it when I need it.
+1 also how much $$$ do you have to spend??
Old 10-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
I got a low profile Leer, love it so far. It locks, so everything under it is secure, unbolts in 5 minutes. And with the low profile you dont loose much out the rear view.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
+1 also how much $$$ do you have to spend??
$200 would be ideal, but if I could get a nice one that matches the color and is made for the Tacoma, then I could go up to $600.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
$200 would be ideal, but if I could get a nice one that matches the color and is made for the Tacoma, then I could go up to $600.
I'm sure you can find them cheaper, but mine was $880
Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
CanTac is on a distinguished road

CanTac's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with a nice Leer tonneau cover too! JMHO you can still use the box for most things. Works out great for me.

CanTac

Hal
Attached Thumbnails
Debating between a Tonneau Cover or Bed Cap-064.jpg  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
taco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura about

taco@you123's Tacoma Gallery

go with the A.R.E. LSII , ive had mine for a while and i never had problems with it , i love the look and every thing, and it also looks better then the LEER
Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Right now I have a bed cover, but plan on getting a cap in the next few years.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
A.r.e. Lsii

This is the one I have. Very well made. I've had mine since I bought my truck in 05. I like the low profile better than the caps. But that is just my opinion. It came painted & installed for $800

Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I use to always run a cap/shell on my trucks but opted this time to put a tonneau on my 06 Tacoma. Something is nice to have back there to keep the snow and rain out of the truck bed.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
If you're like me and move a lot of things that are taller than the cap or hard tonneau cover, a canvas tonneau cover would be your best bet. I've had trucks with caps and hard tonneau covers and I always ended up with things that didn't fit. I'm hoping that Santa is nice this year and wants to bring me a nice canvas tonneau cover but I'm highly doubting it.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
If you're like me and move a lot of things that are taller than the cap or hard tonneau cover, a canvas tonneau cover would be your best bet. I've had trucks with caps and hard tonneau covers and I always ended up with things that didn't fit. I'm hoping that Santa is nice this year and wants to bring me a nice canvas tonneau cover but I'm highly doubting it.
you could probably get one from http://www.truckalterations.com/ for under $200.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
Taos1 is on a distinguished road

Taos1's Tacoma Gallery
I had a fiberglass cap on my 1st gen Tacoma for 12 years. I bought it in 96. I found it to be more of a pain than useful. Taking it off required 2 people and re-wiring the brake light. I had to take it off every couple of years to replace the rubber seals between the bed and cap. I had to limit of what I could carry because it couldn't fit underneath the cap.
I have a soft tonneau cover on my 2nd gen Tacoma now and I love it. I can just roll it up and carry whatever I want, especially my motorcycle.
I would never get a cap again.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos1 View Post
I had a fiberglass cap on my 1st gen Tacoma for 12 years. I bought it in 96. I found it to be more of a pain than useful. Taking it off required 2 people and re-wiring the brake light. I had to take it off every couple of years to replace the rubber seals between the bed and cap. I had to limit of what I could carry because it couldn't fit underneath the cap.
I have a soft tonneau cover on my 2nd gen Tacoma now and I love it. I can just roll it up and carry whatever I want, especially my motorcycle.
The only thing that concerns me about a soft cover is the fact that the stretch out over time then look like crap. Very convenient, just thought the hard cover painted to match the truck looks great.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
Toyhauler is on a distinguished road
Toyhauler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos1 View Post
pics? Does it help with wind drag as the tonneau does?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
Okie Boy
okie7481 is on a distinguished road

okie7481's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of good advice here guys....I appreciate it. Does anyone know of a good tonneau cover that is hard/can carry weight on top of it if needed/can easily be removed/able to bend and fold toward the front or the back? Kind of like this one.....

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
Taos1 is on a distinguished road

Taos1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyhauler View Post
pics? Does it help with wind drag as the tonneau does?
Sorry, no pics. I never took a pic of my truck for the 12 years I had it. I wish I did. And yes it does help with the wind drag.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the hard cover. Have you considered a roll-n-lock cover? I have it on my truck and really like being able to lock it or open it to carry anything large.