Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cargo Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Cargo Rack

I really need cargo hauling ability for my DC SB because lets face it... we don't have a truck box, we have a large open trunk. I designed this bad boy to haul lumber, kayaks, bikes, etc. and want to know what you guys think. I plan on building it out of 2" and 1" aluminum tube to keep it light and painting it with black boxliner (textured) to match my ARB front bumper. What are your thoughts? Too much?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
bump for better pic
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Thats pretty cool! I'm in the process of designing a bed rack myself. Did you use inventor?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
yup
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, that's what I'm using. I see you have bent the pipe in the front to clear the wheel wells. Looks like you are attaching it to the bolts in the floor of the bed. Thats a good idea. Depending on the weight you are planning to haul over the cab, you might want to add another pipe for horizontal bracing closer to the top of the rack. Above the bracing with the holes in it so that there isn't too much weight cantilevered over the cab pulling the front vertical post toward the cab of the truck. Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about that but don't really think I'll ever put much weight up front. Basically most of the weight should be On the 2" cabguard and the front would be to keep anything longer from bouncing off my roof. I would never bolt a spare up the or anything like that. I wonder if I could attach some type of rubber bumper things to the oem roof rack holes?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
That thing looks awesome. I love the dimple die bracing. I'm not usually too into the over the cab lumber rack look but that thing looks BA! Now get to bending! And post up pics when you build it. Sub'd for updates
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Any exhaust guys on here that could tell me if these bends are even possible? It was no problem at all on the computer and I did't even get my hands dirty!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Might be handy to have that top rear cross brace removable too
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
Any exhaust guys on here that could tell me if these bends are even possible? It was no problem at all on the computer and I did't even get my hands dirty!
I'm no exhaust or tubing guy but it looks to me like the bend coming down to the bed might be little too tight in radius and maybe too close to the next bend. At least with the bender I've used that is. Guess it would depend on the method you use to bend them. I circled the ones i'm talking about. Otherwise it looks like it would be completely doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo Rack-cargo_rack1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
jqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jqueener's Tacoma Gallery
Same hear im no expert but i dont think its possible with bends but you could cut and weld something like that don't no how strong it would be structurally