Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Last one and ill quit bitching.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Last one and ill quit bitching.

Any of you get a little spooked by the gas gauge. I mean, i drive home from work (~4 mi) and the gauge drops about 1/8 of a tank from the time I leave the parking lot to the time i pull into my driveway. My work truck (2007 V8 Chevy silverado with full steelweld tool compartments instead of a bed, 20 ft ladder, 10 ft ladder, generator, hundreds of various tools, equipment, parts, sometimes a passenger, etc, etc.) goes 70 plus miles any given day and the tank barely registers. Its the same size tank approximately. I mean whats the deal. I can barely enjoy the ride without looking every ten seconds to see how far the gauge has dropped again. Im getting consistent gas mileage (~16.5 mpg -- all city driving), but it still bugs the heck out of me. By the time i get home im in a foul mood. UGGGGGGH

rant over.

Ted
Old 06-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Duckman is on a distinguished road

Duckman's Tacoma Gallery
Ted,

I basically get 130 miles the first quarter tank, then pretty darn close to 100 miles per quarter after that...has not changed. I get about 21-22 mpg with mid grade.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm.

That sounds about right.

However, I get around 60 for the first quarter, by half of a tank i have around 120, by 1/4 tank i barely reach 200 mi.

My gauge drops so fast i can literally watch it sometimes.

Its ridiculous.

ETA: Currently i have a third of a tank left with ~165 miles on Trip A.

Ted
Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Duckman is on a distinguished road

Duckman's Tacoma Gallery
DANG I don't even have a clue.

Sorry man.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #5

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I did a search for "2007 tacoma fuel gauge problems" and i diddnt get anything for that specific model year, but there were alot of hits with people that have the same problem as I do. Basically its an extremely inaccurate fuel gauge. Something to do with a "fuel sender". Whats up with the QC dept. at Toyota?
Im going to take it to the dealer tomorrow.

I just remembered, the first time i filled it up, the gauge was at 1/4 and it only took 12 gal to fill it up. Thats basically half a tank left.

Ted
Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah something isn't right there... I get about 68-70 miles on my tank full before the fuel gauge falls.. and I get almost 400 miles per tank full.. and thats not even empty. Just driving around town also!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyredken View Post
Yeah something isn't right there... I get about 68-70 miles on my tank full before the fuel gauge falls.. and I get almost 400 miles per tank full.. and thats not even empty. Just driving around town also!
Mine is the EXACT same way. If I fill up, the gauge doesn't start to even drop a hair until I pass 60 miles. I have actually gone 140 miles without going below 3/4 of a tank. I am on empty this morning (light on and everything) and I have 440 miles on my tank...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
also, think about this.....you know the gauge is off when the manual says you have a 21.1 gallon tank, the fuel light comes on, you fill up, and the pump stops at something like 17.6 gallons!! thats a good(but also kinda weird) cushion from being empty. ive driven my truck for a day and a half after my low fuel light came on, and i could have driven more!! now im not saying that its a good idea to do so though..............
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Believe it or not there were 2 toyotanation members who conducted a fuel capacity test because they insisted there tanks were not 21 gallons. They decided to run their tanks TOTALLY dry to prove Toyota had lied about the capacity rating. After running there trucks TOTALLY dry(would not recommend)followed by a fill-up...they found Toyota wasn't lying and indeed there tanks are 21.1 gallons. Go fiqure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
also, think about this.....you know the Gage is off when the manual says you have a 21.1 gallon tank, the fuel light comes on, you fill up, and the pump stops at something like 17.6 gallons!! thats a good(but also kinda weird) cushion from being empty. ive driven my truck for a day and a half after my low fuel light came on, and i could have driven more!! now im not saying that its a good idea to do so though..............
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #10

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah well, i dropped it off at the dealership today so they could take a look. Im already suffering from separation anxiety .
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
Believe it or not there were 2 toyotanation members who conducted a fuel capacity test because they insisted there tanks were not 21 gallons. They decided to run their tanks TOTALLY dry to prove Toyota had lied about the capacity rating. After running there trucks TOTALLY dry(would not recommend)followed by a fill-up...they found Toyota wasn't lying and indeed there tanks are 21.1 gallons. Go fiqure...
i remember when they did the test.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #12

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Funny how life is so predictable; especially when you dont want it to be.

I got my Tacoma back from the dealership. "Well, sir, we cannot find anything wrong with your gas gauge and related system".

me: "hmmm...thats what i figured".

service rep: "you know, these gauges are only an approximate measurement of the fuel left in your tank."

me: "Yeah, i know that. Thats why i brought it in for you to look at. Unless you think 'approximate' equals 'way off', something is wrong."

service rep: "So you say that your gauge drops 1/4 of a tank after about 40 miles?"

me: "Thats what i said...and thats why i brought it in."

service rep: "ok, have a nice day."

me: "wait...huh??"

Worthless waste of time.

I ordered a Scangauge II, so that will be my fuel gauge from now on.

Ted