Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OME 885 coils and 5100 bilsteins

Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Tacoma2nd is on a distinguished road
Tacoma2nd's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885 coils and 5100 bilsteins

I have a regular cab 06 tacoma. i want to get rid of the coil spacers and switch to the OME 885 coils and the 5100 bilsteins. Is it bad if i put the billys on the highest lift setting? if so why? if anyone has this set up please post pics. thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma2nd View Post
I have a regular cab 06 tacoma. i want to get rid of the coil spacers and switch to the OME 885 coils and the 5100 bilsteins. Is it bad if i put the billys on the highest lift setting? if so why? if anyone has this set up please post pics. thanks.
Yes, this would be considered stacking lifts. Your shocks will have zero down travel left, and your ball joints will bind.

You can't go over 3" total lift on a Tacoma without a drop bracket lift, body lift, or SAS.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Also consider that 5100s were designed to level trucks with stock coils, which are not as strong (spring rating) as 885s. I have a 1st gen, so I don't know any spec on the 2nd gen stock coils, but for comparison, stock 1st gen TRD coils are 375 lb rating, and OME 881s (which provide about 2 in lift) are 500 lb rating.

But, the 5100 perches and the rings milled into the shock tubes and the retaining clip are designed for stock coil loads, not stronger aftermarket coils. So, I believe it is potentially unsafe to use a setting higher than zero on the 5100s with the 885s. At least this is the case on similar first gen setups.

Theoretically, if you are using OMEs, the taller coil provides the lift, so you don't need the lift the higher 5100 settings provide.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
OP, what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Tacoma2nd is on a distinguished road
Tacoma2nd's Tacoma Gallery
i have an add a leaf in the back and 2.5 inch coil spacers so its lifted but not leveled out. i wanted enough lift with the 885 coils and the billys to level out my truck. will the 885 coils and the bilsteins set at 0 level it out? whats the best thing to do?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I'll bite.

V6 guys get about 2.5" of lift using 885s with 5100s set at zero, so with your 4 banger, you'll be close to if not level.

I'm also thinking you might even experience a rough ride. Using 885s on a regular cab 4 banger is like v6 guys using 886s w/o the added weight upfront.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
OK, I'll bite.

V6 guys get about 2.5" of lift using 885s with 5100s set at zero, so with your 4 banger, you'll be close to if not level.

I'm also thinking you might even experience a rough ride. Using 885s on a regular cab 4 banger is like v6 guys using 886s w/o the added weight upfront.
x2, might want to consider the 884's with the top place spacer unless you're armored up. Also, as mentioned above, don't go above the 0 setting with the OME coils, let the coils do the lifting. OME coils are tall enough where they do not need to be pre-loaded.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma2nd View Post
i have an add a leaf in the back and 2.5 inch coil spacers so its lifted but not leveled out. i wanted enough lift with the 885 coils and the billys to level out my truck. will the 885 coils and the bilsteins set at 0 level it out? whats the best thing to do?
Sounds like you got a 2" AAL. The 1.5" is what you needed to be level with 2.5" up front.