Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Calif. Tacos:Are CAIs not street Legal?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Please explain where the coil air comes from.

theres a mini A/C condensor inside the air filter, SSHHHH, just dont let the secret out, or else everyone will inleash the the stable and let the horses run and gain horsepower
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Held is I know thats just what its called my post was to state that its call ok for smog as long as ya have the sticker it came with
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
LOL, i kno my buddy had one of those specture intaakes from autozone, he had it for a couple months, then we were changing his oils and i poped his hood and the plastic intake broke where the rubber connter connects the air filter and intake, it basicly was craked all the way through, we just duct taped it and changed his oil, lol, he ordered better intake for his frontier but kept and used the filter
I had my ricer days too.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Held is I know thats just what its called my post was to state that its call ok for smog as long as ya have the sticker it came with
Yes but for 2nd gens there aren't any with the exception of the new TRD and the crappy Airaid that come with the carb sticker.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
u 4got volant with the ram scoop.................annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the engine light it seems to love!
Well the reason for that is where they placed the MAF sensor. I kinda did forget about that but it has it's problems so I pay no real attention to it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
u 4got volant with the ram scoop.................annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the engine light it seems to love!
my 99 montero sport had almost the same intake as the volant ram snorkel thing, and it was stock, so i wouldnt even consider that ram air
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post

now were talkin ram air
Pffffff!!! If you really want to ram some air you need one of these:

or

Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #29
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah WTF happend to R&D nowadays?
I couldn't tell ya, downsizing maybe. At school our whole team, 20 to 30 peps tops, were gonna do a R&D project on basic physics then the following week after we did some testing they said only 10 were allowed and the rest were SOL.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #30

Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah WTF happend to R&D nowadays?

"pushed" air? or maybe "slightly more motivated" air?

Ill take the extra 2 cyliders............but does it have to be a flord?
it might of "help guide" air in, might be about it, atleast for my old car lol. and the pic is off google, ima chevy dude when it comes to muscle

Quote:
Pffffff!!! If you really want to ram some air you need one of these:

or

forced induction is the next step, ram air is like a pusy forced induction, only really see the best Ram at higher speed since the air eventually would get forced in instead of sucked in, then of course u gotta hav actual hood scoops, or if ur an OG, u would run hoodless
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #31
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
wow, i posted this a couple of hours ago and wham-o... a bunch of replies.

yeah, i was wondering if any of these CAIs have real dyno test results to back up their claims. same with aftermarket exhausts. these companies make them for so many applications. i kinda doubt they've taken each exhaust and CAI and dyno'd all the cars they make them for.

so besides that problem, they're not street legal. kinda a hassle to take off/on for smog checks too...and for something that does not improve performance or worse yet, decrease performance since some of them do not seal out hot engine bay air but in fact, may increase the vacuum thereby sucking more hot air in than a stock intake.

i'll pass and save my money for more important mods like the lift and wheels.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
wow, i posted this a couple of hours ago and wham-o... a bunch of replies.

yeah, i was wondering if any of these CAIs have real dyno test results to back up their claims. same with aftermarket exhausts. these companies make them for so many applications. i kinda doubt they've taken each exhaust and CAI and dyno'd all the cars they make them for.

so besides that problem, they're not street legal. kinda a hassle to take off/on for smog checks too...and for something that does not improve performance or worse yet, decrease performance since some of them do not seal out hot engine bay air but in fact, may increase the vacuum thereby sucking more hot air in than a stock intake.

i'll pass and save my money for more important mods like the lift and wheels.
No! You need the gnar factor!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #34
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
none of the afermarket intakes are carb legal in CA
Not true. The newer TRD CAI is CARB legal. I believe there is a Volant CAI that is also CARB legal.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Not true. The newer TRD CAI is CARB legal. I believe there is a Volant CAI that is also CARB legal.
Just the new TRD. I mentioned it earlier.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
the most important thing isnt the "intake" itself, its the filter!! So the CAI isnt exactly what you wanna replace, u wanna replace that shit ass paper air filter u have that does nothing but restrict air!!!! If you want an actually, very small, HP gain and a few more mpgs then just get a drop-in-filter! They ARE smog legal and a good one is only about $40, problem solved!!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No! You need the gnar factor!
yeah, gnarly.

how's the wheelin in chino hills area? or do you head south to san diego?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
yeah, gnarly.

how's the wheelin in chino hills area? or do you head south to san diego?
There is no wheeling in the CH area. I usually head to the OC, LA county or Victorville area for wheeling.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #39
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Mine is or is this a 2gen thing?
Each vehicle and each engine type has to have it's own CARB legal authorization. So a 2nd Gen Tacoma may have different CAIs that are legal for 4cyldr vs 6 cyldr. For a long time the Tundra had a CARB legal CAI while the 2nd gen Tacoma had none.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #40
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
So I've browsed this thread and did some minor searching. But, my Tacoma is due for it's first smog check this year. I have a drop in K&N filter. Will this be a problem when getting it smogged? It's been a while since I've had a smog check done and I'm not sure, do they do a visual and inspect the filter? No stickers or anything else that would make it look aftermarket without actually looking at the filter. And I'd guess tail pipe emissions wouldn't be much more either, but wanted to verify from anyone who has smogged their V6's with the drop in K&N!

Thanks!