1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horn not working

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by idiom, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    idiom

idiom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gage
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma X-Runner
    Hey All,

I had my 2006 Tacoma X-Runner at the dealership a week ago because my instrument panel airbag light was intermittently coming on. After paying for them to diagnose the problem (my truck is still under warranty) they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

7 days later I find my horn is not working, so I called Toyota and they said they didn't take anything apart and nothing they did would affect the horn. Seems like kind of an odd coincidence that the horn and airbag are in the same place, but w/e. So they say I have to pay again to get it diagnosed and the parts will be covered if something is wrong.

So i checked the fuse and the relay and both seem to be fine. The fuse has 0.0 ohms resistance, and I replaced the relay with the FR FOG relay (all part numbers exact same) and the horn still didn't work. I hooked a voltage meter up to the lead connected to the horn itself, and grounded to frame and I don't get any voltage when pressing horn in the cab. I also don't hear any clicking or anything from the relay when pressing the horn, and I think I should. ??

So I guess my question is, is there anything else I can check before letting Toyota gouge me again with diagnostic charges? I guess I have kind of narrowed it down (in my mind) to the switch in the steering wheel.

Gage

2. Jul 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    patwrik

patwrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DBL CAB
    I have a similar issue with the airbag light, but my horn and cruise still work.

after some research, I found that the clock spring or "spiral cable" will need to be replace. do a search for it...

Also check your cruise control...I almost willing to bet it doesnt work too...

tudes likes this.
  3. Jul 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    yeh i have the same air bag light on too, clock spring but my horn and cruise still work i would bet its the clock spring as well ..... have them check it while under warrenty cuz its expensive to replace part is like 200 plus labor... still havent replaced mine due to the cost

4. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Here is the schematic of the horn circuit for a 2005:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...4d1307310779-2nd-gen-service-manuals-horn.pdf

The schematic treats everything on the steering column as one piece, but that's not correct. S8 on the schematic is a connector on the right side bottom of the steering column.

There are small pop-out panels on each side of the steering wheel. Pop them out. Each panel covered the head of a Torx screw (size T-30, IIRC). Unscrew each Torx screw until it hangs by its plastic keeper. Don't remove the Torx screws.

Pull the steering wheel pad/airbag assembly straight out.

There should be one wire by itself connected to the back of the airbag assembly. The other end of the wire goes to the spiral cable assembly. On mine, the wire is black. That's the horn wire. The connector should be a plain quick-disconnect slide-on flag type on the airbag assembly end of the wire. Ignore the yellow airbag connector(s) and cables.

If the horn wire is disconnected, connect it. The dealer tech forgot to put it back while looking for the airbag issue. That should solve the problem.

If the horn wire is connected, disconnect it and ground it. If the horn blows, you have a bad horn switch. If the horn does not blow, the problem is elsewhere.

5. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    most likely a clockspring

6. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    idiom

idiom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gage
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma X-Runner
    Great info. Thanks a lot to all.

My cruise definitely works, I used it the same day i noticed the horn not working.

Jerry, I'll give that a try, thanks a lot.

Gage

7. Feb 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Old thread I know but my horn hasn't been working either. Fuse is fine and I tried grounding the horn wire and it still didn't work.

Any suggestions?

8. Feb 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    clockspring brings air bags, cruise, stereo, and horn to the front of wheel

must be a bad clockspring (official term: spiral cable)

---
    disco battery

yank airbags off wheel, unplug

disco horn cables, cruise....

connect battery

tape clockspring top edge together so when you
    pull it, it won't rotate and unwind on you (a real bitch to rewind correctly)

pull clockspring off

jumper horn control to horn pad, test. if it works, absolutely the clockspring is the problem

9. Feb 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    sfcadams

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:

So, just doing the same thing as listed below wouldn't be the same as what you are describing with the clockspring as far as grounding the horn wire?

10. Feb 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    sfcadams

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Disregard. Horns themselves were not getting a good ground for some reason...

11. May 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    emilminasian

emilminasian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emil Minasian
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Trd sport double cab
    I have a 2011 Tacoma, everything woke a normaly except the horn off the steering wheel, meaning if I turn my alarm on my horn works. So I would say it's grounded for sure but it lacks the communication from the steering wheel. Any recommendations? I have warranty up 100k but I'm scared they might see the wires for my offroad lights and they might blame me for it lol it was working fine up until a week ago

12. May 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If you have a multimeter check the wire going from the relay to the Horn(s). When the steering wheel horn pressed you should read 12 VDC from that wire to ground if not it is either the relay, 10 amp Horn Fuse, Wiring ( spiral Cable ) or the horn switch in the steering wheel. With a meter you should be able to eliminate these one at a time using the schematic posted above. I would almost bet on the spiral cable.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  13. Nov 6, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    UR Cutoff

UR Cutoff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 I4 4x4
    Hey all, I'm having a similar issue, I just got a used 2012 I4 4x4, The horn works intermittently, It worked this morning when i bumped it while pulling out of a parking spot, but not 15 minutes later while i was driving.

Can anyone explain to me like I'm 5 how to fix the problem?

14. Nov 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Get your mommy to take the truck to the dealer. [​IMG]

Seriously. Read through the thread and there are some very good pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue. Your horn circuit should be the same as the above 2005.

15. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    skeeter289

skeeter289 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    hartville, ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    Help!! Several years ago I added a factory cruise to my 2006 Tacoma (base model). I have driven over 10.000 miles with no problem. I had my truck inspected and the horn does not work. I checked my fuse and relay ( no power when horn is depressed). I removed the air bag to check connections. I can not see the black wire that goes from the back of the horn. I see the tab but can't find the wire. I removed the column covers thinking it fell back in the column. The only wires are the yellow ones going to the air bag. Does any one know were the black wire goes? Maybe I can just make a new one.

16. Apr 8, 2015 at 1:52 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You have two wires associated with the horn in the column the power wire is Green with a Red Strip and the ground is black.

It should be pretty simple to make a new black wire and attach it to ground ( any metal part of the body ).

Note: To test the horn circuit you can just ground the Green with Red Strip wire ( touch it to a metal part of the chassis ) and the horn should blow. Just remove the air bag first with the battery disconnected. Those suckers will kill you.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  17. Apr 8, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    Use finger!:D

18. Apr 8, 2015 at 5:01 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  19. Sep 4, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    coyotesniper6547

coyotesniper6547 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB
    Icon suspension, lights N shit, Safari snorkel, TRD CAI, Pelfrey armor, Prinsu rack, Pine tree air freshener taxation is theft bumper sticker
    Dudes, So my horn does not work by pressing on the steering wheel but one of the two horns will sound if I press the panic button on the key fob. I do not have any indicator lights coming on on my dash and my cruse control works. The relay does not click when I press the horn. Fuses seem to all be good.

Where should I start in tracing this down?

20. Sep 6, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Spiral Cable. This cable has many wires in it and maybe only the horn wire is broken...

Products Discussed in

To Top