1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 steering column rattle is there a tsb for this

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hockeydad, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Hockeydad

Hockeydad [OP] Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road Prerunner
    5100's and tint so far.
    Has anyone took there 2011 tacoma in for a steering column rattle in and if so was it fixed do to a tsb issue.I felt it a little with stock bilsteins just had 5100's installed and seem to notice it a little more.I was wondering if there is a tsb# for this issue any info would be greatly appreciated.By the way only notice it when going over wash board like surfaces.

2. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
  3. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    I have never heard about this tsb, but I have a annoying rattle in my steering column that I havnt been able locate exactly.

Iv never had a tsb done so not sure how they work, what do I need to do to find out if I can get it done?

4. Jul 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    There's a stupid little rubber coupler connecting the shafts under your dash. It's purpose is to prevent the steering wheel from impaling you in a front end collision. It happens to a get a little worn after awhile and rattles over broken pavement. I never addressed the issue but the rattle hasn't gotten any worse. it's a little annoying but I've learned to live with it. Plus I'm not under warranty :(

5. Jul 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Having just had that TSB done on my '09, I can tell you the improvement in steering feel is massive. Before I felt that rattle/looseness on any sort of uneven pavement or bumpy road, and it was TERRIBLE on dirt or gravel or off road. Now, it feels solid, and there is no remnant of the rattle/clunk. Big thumbs up on that fix.

If you're out of warranty, you could buy the part and install it yourself.

6. Jul 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Any idea as to what Toyota is charging for the assembly?

7. Jul 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    My truck did it before the TSB, did that... massive improvement. For about a month... then after a few good runs off-road it came right back again, 10x worse than before. bleh

8. Jul 7, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    Bajones

Bajones Well-Known Member

Member:
    X2 Just had this done on my 11 and the looseness has gone away.

9. Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    does anyone know if that stupid rubber coupler as rzimm calls it is under the hood too? reason i ask is i developed this rattle recently. well today i had to go where they are doing road work and it was the washboard thing . it made a terrible racket so when i got hope i popped the hood. i noticed a rubber coupler on the steering shaft had slid down from what im assuming it the houseing for it that runs into the firewall. sorry to be so vague im not a mechanic and dont have a clue about much more than oil changes and brake jobs.

10. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    That rubber part you are talking about is the bushing the intermediate shaft passes through in the firewall. Mine came apart too. Dealer did the intermediate shaft TSB & replaced that too. What a difference after getting it done. No more clink & steering feels much better.

11. Jan 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    wanted driver

wanted driver New Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD sport
    bush scratches, door dings, bugs on grill
    sounds like the rubber coupler thing. I'll get a good look in a day or so and let everyone know, thanks for the feedback.
    PS 800 km's today at -27 and colder, truck was a champ. No issues.

12. Jan 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Some friendly advice for you since you're new. You might want to check the dates of what you're replying to. This thread hasn't been used in over 2 years. Welcome to the boards!

Products Discussed in

To Top