Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smoothest 2.5"-3" Ride:OME or Fox/King/Icon?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Smoothest 2.5"-3" Ride:OME or Fox/King/Icon?

Yes, I've searched and REsearched for hours. From my understanding, the OMEs are designed for up to 2" lift but sometimes give 2.5" of lift and spacers are required for the full 3" of lift. The high-end COs are for up to 3" with optimal lift about 2.5" with no preload. Is this all correct?

With a 2.5"-3" lift, I really want a nice on road ride, with the off-road ride less important but a bonus since I'll only offroad maybe 1-2/yr at most.

Of course the high-end COs are a lot more expensive, but I'll pay it if the ride is that much better on road.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
The Kings are really smooth on the road, but it depends on valving, springs etc. I think without any preload they are closer to 2 inches of lift rather than 2.5.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To add: the OME 885 springs give 2.5 to 3" lift without the use of spacers.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
maybe just get a set of billy's and call it a day?

good luck..

BTW, I like my Icons but they are pretty stiff onroad.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your responses.

The factor for cost: UCAs.
W/O extended travel, the LR UCAs are fine being ball joint vs. uniball? Correct?

Is the 885 coil giving more lift due to a higher spring rate, not length?

I think now, based on costs and my needs/wants, its between:

1) Kings front, Billies rear (not a good match?)
2) Kings front, Fox or Icon rear
3) OME all around (But no adjustable preload collar?)
AND LR UCA (cheaper, less maintenance, no squeaking)

My goal is an even 2.5"-3" smooth riding lifted truck
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i say go king. icons are stiff unless your haulin ass.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #7

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Kings. Hmm, I'm leaning more that way too.

97yota. Thats a great pic of your truck catching air!!! I dont have desert roads near me otherwise I'd love to hit trails like that.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post

This, if you are only looking for 2.5 of lift and want a smooth ride then this is the best option, if you have the $$. I'm running these with the 600lb springs about 2.5 of lift and no sway bar and they are really smooth.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
a member
WhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
WhiteWiddow's Tacoma Gallery
This is what im gonna roll with...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/dea...ml#post3347969

Do it right the first time...
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the Fox's are pretty sweet too. I saw that DSM offer too, with their own UCAs. Not bad. Or how about Kings non-ext travel for $1045+$375 for a LR UCA=$1420 ? Not bad either?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
This, if you are only looking for 2.5 of lift and want a smooth ride then this is the best option, if you have the $$. I'm running these with the 600lb springs about 2.5 of lift and no sway bar and they are really smooth.
What UCA and rear lift did you go with? Is yours a DC?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #12

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
What UCA and rear lift did you go with? Is yours a DC?
I have TC UCAS and the Icon 3 leaf AAL in the back, my truck is a AC
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
I have TC UCAS and the Icon 3 leaf AAL in the back, my truck is a AC
What rear shocks?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
why not just go for billies if you aren't offroading???

You don't need King or Fox for 2 off raod trips a year.. that's over kill / mall crawler stuff
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #15

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
What rear shocks?
Just went with 5100's in the back for now
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
If you order them from DSM, You can have them take out some of the low speed compression dampening (they do this one time for free), and it makes them much softer on the street.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I vote for KINGs.

My truck rides better lifted than it did when it was stock. Then again, its all in my head. My truck rides very smooth on the road and handles well off the road. The only thing that gets in my way, is the front bumper. That will be solved soon.

However, I'm a Prerunner and had the option to add a Spindle lift and have NO preload on my Kings. So thats not an option for you. =(

I did have my Kings cranked up before and it road very well. However, not close to how it is now. . . .

I'd get KINGS if you can swing it. They will last you. . . Then 5100's in the rear. If you can, get Kings back there too. . .

Cheap Route
5100's all around. I had it and it did well but stiff.
Light Racing UCA
TSB OEM Toyota 4-Leaf Leaf Springs.

Middle Route

Kings up front
5100's in the rear
Camburg or TC UCA
Toyota 4 Leaf TSB Rear Leaf Springs

Improved Route

Kings 2.5 all around
Camburg or TC UCA
All Pro 3" Rear Leaf Spring

You can always have cash on hand and keep an eye out of Used Parts. Thats what I did. I suggest this route also. You can get the best without breaking your wallet. Good things comes to those who wait.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
So.Cal Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
So.Cal Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the King 2.5's with 650 pound springs with Tundra valveing on my Taco because of the heavy front ARB bumper with Winch The ride is Great.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #19

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, Kings/Fox's may be overkill for my use (99.99% road, 0.01 offroad). Funny thing. The high-end COs are rebuildable but they also MUST be rebuilt every 30-50k miles. Whereas the OMEs or Bilsteins will last longer then just dispose of them and get new ones every 70k or more, and still cost less than one pair of Kings/Foxs.

Choices, choices. That deal of $1045 for the Kings RR is a sweet deal though. But can I use LR UCAs or must I use the more expensive uniball UCAs? The Kings are not ext. travel.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
2_wheels is on a distinguished road
2_wheels's Tacoma Gallery
I have kings front and rear with TC UCA's and OME Dakar rear springs with one over load removed.
AWESOME ride on the road, way better than stock. Very cushy offroad too. If I were doing more high speed stuff off road I'd slow down the rebound a bit up front and give it a little more preload.
lifted it about 2.5 up front and over 3 in the rear, still has a slight rake to it until I put my camping gear and dirtbike in the back.
Oh- mine is a DCLB.