1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed covers for Tacoma 07 double cab long bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LovinMyTaco07, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Nov 8, 2006 at 2:22 PM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any preferred bed covers out there?
    Or news on when bed covers that are made to fit a Tacoma 07 double cab long bed will be out?
    I've tried searching the internet, but apparently I don't know the right places to look.
    I'm open to any kind of cover, if someone can talk me into buying that one... but my wife prefers a hard cover. I don't care if it is hard or soft as long as I can remove it easily when I need to and it can be easily lifted so I can store things in the truck bed (groceries when cab is full of kids, camping equipment when the cab is full of boy scouts, that and obviously keep things dry when it is raining). Also I'm interested in the drag being reduced to improve the mpgs....
    Any suggestions for bed covers?

2. Nov 8, 2006 at 2:49 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I have an ARE LSII on my rig (05 Double Cab Shortbed) I paid a hair over $900 for it. The cover is lockable and I haven't tried removing it yet but it looks like 4 bolts (no drilling required) and lift it off. I like the fact that it locks because my wife lugs around about a grand worth of tools and they pretty secure. Drag being reduced is of no consequence. So far it has been proven (by the Mythbusters) that having a cover has no real benefit and the best thing for reducing drag (minus geting a tailgate net) is to actualy leave the tailgate up.

3. Nov 8, 2006 at 3:34 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Your Toyota dealer can source them for you. I bought mine from them and they get it from Van and Truck World. I'm told the soft covers are very hard to user install, initially.

4. Nov 8, 2006 at 5:28 PM
    whporwil

whporwil Member

Member:
    Looking for a cover, start @ Ebay type in Tacoma and sit back and look at the different styles available. I have an 06 double cab and chose a soft cover. For me on another truck every time I had my hard cover on is when I needed to take it off to haul some thing.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Nov 9, 2006 at 8:44 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    I have a double cab long bed taco '05 and purchased my bed cover at extang rt tonno. it is so easy to install it took me 30mins, and the sleek design not too bulky for my bed, for $328 it's worth it. no drilling required.
    hope this helps.
    ldytaco05

6. Nov 9, 2006 at 10:31 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

Member:
    that sounds like it is quick and easy to install and remove... I also like the idea of no drilling required, I'd hate to put holes in my new truck... the price is also inviting.

7. Nov 9, 2006 at 10:33 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

Member:
    I like the idea of locking the cover, every once in a while I'll want to store something expensive and I wouldn't do it if it wasn't locked in something. Although i was hoping to not spend that much for one...
    Thanks for the truth about pickup trucks and drag! :D

8. Nov 9, 2006 at 10:36 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

Member:
    That is what I'm worried about, how hard will it be to remove the cover when I need to haul something bigger then will fit under the cover...
    Thanks... I'll look at Ebay
    does your soft cover fit well and no water gets in it?

9. Nov 9, 2006 at 1:24 PM
    whporwil

whporwil Member

Member:
    We haven't had ours long enough to have a problem. I bought a Tonneau Freadom cover. On the 5 ft box it has 3 ribs across the box to support the cover and divert the rain. The longer box has 4 according the the instructions. The snaps that hold the cover on have a summer and winter position so the cover should stay tight. The bad news in your case is you can still open the tail gate with out unsnapping anything. The good news is it was about $170.00 on ebay

10. Nov 9, 2006 at 5:38 PM
    Hilux

Hilux Member

Member:
    I have a '06 Tacoma with the 6ft bed and just purchased a Undercover hard cover. I researched so much with on-line shops and visiting local auto parts stores to finally decide on a hard cover from Undercover (www.undercoverinfo.com). This is the lightest hard cover in the market only at 57 lbs. and it is a lockable and even comes with a bright battery powered light installed which is pretty handy when it's dark. Also with this wrap-around design, it eliminates the need for tail-gate lock and the installation is very easy and uses the existing multi-trak rail systems with no drill. I'm pretty happy with it except for the wind noise that the front rubber flap makes when going over 60 mph. If you live in a area with a lot of snow falls, you definitely have to go with a hard cover because the soft type won't stand the weight of snow and the cover itself constantly makes the wind noise even though the soft cover is capable for a unscheduled purchase of a big furniture or TV set because its removal is relatively easy with just rolling-up.

11. Dec 28, 2006 at 9:17 PM
    65Tuxedo

65Tuxedo Member

Member:
    Look at the Access Literider. I plan to order one this week. I have had one before and it was very handy. Easy to roll forward to put big stuff in. Sealed up fairly well against rain and car washes. They have one for the long or short bed that doesnt require any drilling. There is a special install kit for Tacomas that comes with the cover.

12. Dec 28, 2006 at 11:01 PM
    tcboss

tcboss Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    Black Mamba
    3 in. Revtek Lift, 33 in. M/T Open Country's,
    where do u find the ARE LSII for a little over 900????

13. Dec 30, 2006 at 9:17 AM
    tx_steve

tx_steve Member

Member:
  14. Feb 6, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    paul kavka

paul kavka New Member

Member:
    Ditto this review. My Undercover Tonneau is great. Easy to install. Looks factory. Hard cover always looks good.
    Only thing with hard cover is that you have to take it off for big items. No big deal.

15. Feb 6, 2007 at 2:32 PM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you post some pix?

16. Mar 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM
    mugu07taco

mugu07taco Member

Member:
    In 04 when I had my F150 I bought a Leer, it was that or the Undercover and I wish I went with the Undercover. The Leer looked very nice and was very good BUT the Undercover just makes sense to me. The Undercover weighs less, more durable, easier to install/remove. With my Taco I am going to get the Undercover. I never removed the Leer because it seemed like a pain in the butt. If you remove it you have to set on a barrel or other flat surface versus the Undercover just being able to hang on the wall. I am lucky I never cracked the Leer in half because all the times I had to haul things and was unable to remove the lid (because it seemed like a pain in the butt) and ended up tying down the lid or just leaving it up. If you want looks the fiber glass covers are very nice. For me practical use would be the Undercover. The Leer did have nice rain/water protection when the lid was raised. I am not sure about the Undercover.

17. Mar 15, 2007 at 10:33 AM
    deadreckoning

deadreckoning Member

Member:
  18. Mar 15, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I have an 06 double cab long bed. I purchased an UNDERCOVER. Im very satisfied, you can walk on top the cover, it locks and keeps the tailgate from opening, comes off in about 2 min with just one person, light enough to pick up by yourself, completely waterproof and got it for a great deal. My friend works at a truck place so he got it to me for a discount so I only paid $525

19. Mar 15, 2007 at 3:31 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I have the Bak Bakflip. It got great reviews. It's a hard lockable and foldable sturdy cover; plus it looks good. It's very similiar to the the cover on the Colorado Avalanche. No drilling required to install plus you can still use the rail system... I paid 546.00 for mine delivered.

20. Apr 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    I also have a A.R.E LS II lid for my Ranger, color matched to the truck of course. Cost was $800.00 back in 2004 when I bought my truck. Problem with a hard cover, is your limited to what you can haul in the back of your truck, height wise. Since they do bolt on with 4 bolts and clamps, who wants to unbolt the lid and then re-install it just to carry something large in the back???? Don't get me wrong, lids are great as long as you keep the things that you place back there, "below the sides of your box", height wise.
    A few freinds at work went with a Torza folding soft cover, and that's what I'll be getting next for my future Tacoma as well, when ever I buy one. It comes off and on in less than 1 minute!!! Here's a link showing that very tonneau cover in action. I've done the cap and Lid route on my last few trucks, but the Torza Tonneau cover is my next choice, bar none.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/torza_tops.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top