Notices

Cutting grill bars for lights

Old 07-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
claw is on a distinguished road
Name: Cam
claw's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting grill bars for lights

Hello everyone,
I'm wrapping up my masters dissertation on Monday and I'm hoping to celebrate by installing these lights I have from PIAA in my grill. They are about half an inch to tall, so I am planning on taking a dremel and sand paper to the grill bars to recess the lights in. I haven't seen anyone on here do it before. I have two questions: 1) Removing part of the grill in this fashion won't provide a catastrophic failure somehow, correct? and 2) Any good ideas on mounting? I could make an mounting bar out of angle iron and attach it to the radiator mount(??) or could the grill bars themselves actually work?

Thanks for any thoughts, I want to try and get this checked off my to do list this week but also don't want to fubar my grill.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
claw's Tacoma Gallery
How can I post pictures of something not yet done? I haven't even seen anything quite like it...
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OP , you intend to cut out the grill crossbars to mount lights ?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
claw's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Only more of take out a quarter of an inch by 4 inch pass to fit the lights into.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
claw's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe this will help... In the top is one side of the grill as stock. The middle would be cutting a spot for the light between the two horizontal cross pieces, and the bottom image would be the same thing but between the top two where there is a little more room (less cutting)
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting grill bars for lights-slide1.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
claw's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for any help. The more I think about it I want these in between the two cross bars in the middle just to keep it looking better.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this? I thought about this before, cut the horizontal bars and fiberglass rings into the grill to mount lights. Lot of work but it could be sweet.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to do that as well, but I figured epoxy and body filler on flexible plastic parts would not live as long as the OEM part, so I gave up. I'd like to see this one being done!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
w3tw0rks did this to fit his Kragen HIDs in his 1st gen grille

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IDZ6...layer_embedded
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
claw's Tacoma Gallery
Beerrun: Yes, something very similar to that is what I'm shooting for, only I'm using the PIAA 2100 lights which are rectangular instead of round.

Wolfpack: No, I wouldn't.

Everyone else, thanks for the interest! I'm hoping that since I only am removing 1/4" from each cross bar the structural integrity should be comparable.

I was also thinking about mounting to the top of the cross bar which is molded as it seems approximately as stiff as any other mounting point in that area. Otherwise it seems I would be mounting a large cross bar, securing it to the vertical support in the middle of the grill, and still having to come forward to have the lights in the proper location. Unless I use some very rigid materials it seems that would flex about the same as the grill piece.

Any other thoughts? I defend for my MS today so we'll see how much time I have later this week and this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I think this would look awesome if you can figure out how to do it, also props for trying something different!