Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AC compressor locked up

Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
AC compressor locked up

Looking to change out the A/C compressor on my 07 I4 tacoma. I found an OEM compressor setup for $406.

If the compressor is locked up what other parts nee to be changed?

expansion valve?

I have read accuulator drier should also be changed, however it looks like it is located in the condenser and toyota wants you to buy a $500 condenser setup.

These parts are not shown in detail in the FSM so..
What is the difference between the RECEIVER DRIER/ACCUMULATOR
FILTER TUBE @ EVAP INLET and the CONDENSER DRIER LOCATED ON COND?

Any good DIY articles on this. thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If the compressor locked up there metal every where drier,expansion valve, etc. and it needs to be flushed. Sounds like a lot of names for the same thing. In an A/C system the oil does not stay in a sump like and engine it travels through the system carrying every thing with in trash and all eventually the screen in the accumulator plugs up and there is no oil flow.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any info on completing this?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
garagefujimoto is on a distinguished road
garagefujimoto's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to the compressor:

You should replace the...

1. Receiver/Drier - seperate on some vehicles but it is in the condenser in this vehicle

2. Expansion Valve - is by the glovebox. Bit of time to change it out, some dealers don't bother but it would be the best way.

Any reference to an orifice tube or accumulator would be for a different type of a/c system not found in the Tacoma.

Check out http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ for much better deals on the parts needed.

Evan
Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
I did this successfully on my last truck (Chevy). Get a flush kit that has a canister to connect to your air compressor and specific flush slovent. Disconnect the lines and flush out the lines and evaporator. You really need to replace the condenser. These things are parallel flow and there is no real way to flush them properly. You'll unclog a couple of channels but since they are parallel some will stay clogged as the flush just takes the path of least resistance through a couple open ones and bypasses some of the clogged ones. It is highly unlikey that you will get them all clean so wil have reduced performance and then almost for sure some crap will come loose later and clog the expansion device and you will be tearing it all apart again.

Replace the dryer/accumulator. Oh, this seems to be part of the condenser. Never heard of that before. Very bizarre. Needs to be replaced as it is almost for sure full of metal shavings and other junk. Not sure what expansion device Toyota uses but if the cheap orifice tube, replace it. Replace the o-rings... get a Toyota specifc set of o-rings.

This website has a lot of info on the subject as well as DIY flush kits and solvent.

http://www.ackits.com/

Here are their Tacoma 2.7 parts:
http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...ota07Tacoma2-7

Here is the flush equipment. I used the one at the bottom (Mastercool canister):
http://www.ackits.com/c/Flush/Flush+...s+-+Hecat.html