1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC compressor locked up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by G17GUY, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jul 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    Looking to change out the A/C compressor on my 07 I4 tacoma. I found an OEM compressor setup for $406.

If the compressor is locked up what other parts nee to be changed?

expansion valve?

I have read accuulator drier should also be changed, however it looks like it is located in the condenser and toyota wants you to buy a $500 condenser setup.

These parts are not shown in detail in the FSM so..
    What is the difference between the RECEIVER DRIER/ACCUMULATOR
    FILTER TUBE @ EVAP INLET and the CONDENSER DRIER LOCATED ON COND?

Any good DIY articles on this. thanks

2. Jul 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If the compressor locked up there metal every where drier,expansion valve, etc. and it needs to be flushed. Sounds like a lot of names for the same thing. In an A/C system the oil does not stay in a sump like and engine it travels through the system carrying every thing with in trash and all eventually the screen in the accumulator plugs up and there is no oil flow.

3. Jul 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    Anyone have any info on completing this?

Thanks

4. Jul 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    garagefujimoto

garagefujimoto Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    In addition to the compressor:

You should replace the...

1. Receiver/Drier - seperate on some vehicles but it is in the condenser in this vehicle

2. Expansion Valve - is by the glovebox. Bit of time to change it out, some dealers don't bother but it would be the best way.

Any reference to an orifice tube or accumulator would be for a different type of a/c system not found in the Tacoma.

Check out http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ for much better deals on the parts needed.

Evan

5. Jul 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I did this successfully on my last truck (Chevy). Get a flush kit that has a canister to connect to your air compressor and specific flush slovent. Disconnect the lines and flush out the lines and evaporator. You really need to replace the condenser. These things are parallel flow and there is no real way to flush them properly. You'll unclog a couple of channels but since they are parallel some will stay clogged as the flush just takes the path of least resistance through a couple open ones and bypasses some of the clogged ones. It is highly unlikey that you will get them all clean so wil have reduced performance and then almost for sure some crap will come loose later and clog the expansion device and you will be tearing it all apart again.

Replace the dryer/accumulator. Oh, this seems to be part of the condenser. Never heard of that before. Very bizarre. Needs to be replaced as it is almost for sure full of metal shavings and other junk. Not sure what expansion device Toyota uses but if the cheap orifice tube, replace it. Replace the o-rings... get a Toyota specifc set of o-rings.

This website has a lot of info on the subject as well as DIY flush kits and solvent.

http://www.ackits.com/

Here are their Tacoma 2.7 parts:
    http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=Toyota07Tacoma2-7

Here is the flush equipment. I used the one at the bottom (Mastercool canister):
    http://www.ackits.com/c/Flush/Flush+Equipment+&+Solvents+-+Hecat.html

Products Discussed in

To Top