Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Modifying truck bed ideas

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Kawi kilburn is on a distinguished road

Kawi kilburn's Tacoma Gallery
Modifying truck bed ideas

Has anyone added and additional loops, hooks, and storage boxes other than the OEM bed rails and the typical large tool box? I'm trying to get ideas for securing gear and small tools without giving up any of the overall length of the bed. I have already locked in a Condor motorcycle chock at the back of the bed and put in more of the Toyota adjustable bed rail hooks. Any suggestions on where to start next?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Have you put additional D-rings in the floor of the bed?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Cargo bar

I use one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/68fvte2

and a few old milk crate type of boxes
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
That is awesome! Kinda of pricey but probably worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Have you put additional D-rings in the floor of the bed?
I do. I have some already installed across the rear and a few more going into the front.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
I use one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/68fvte2

and a few old milk crate type of boxes
I've got one but I almost always have a bike in the back so I can't really use it. The rear wheel of the bike almost sits on the tailgate so securing stuff so it doesn't slide out is critical.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi kilburn View Post
Has anyone added and additional loops, hooks, and storage boxes other than the OEM bed rails and the typical large tool box? I'm trying to get ideas for securing gear and small tools without giving up any of the overall length of the bed. I have already locked in a Condor motorcycle chock at the back of the bed and put in more of the Toyota adjustable bed rail hooks. Any suggestions on where to start next?
why the chock in the rear? ive been looking for various ways of securing my r6 since im sure those bed rail hooks wont hold my bike...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
why the chock in the rear? ive been looking for various ways of securing my r6 since im sure those bed rail hooks wont hold my bike...
Mount some d-rings in the front of the bed, I wouldn't use the side rails for a motorcycle. Here's a thread with pictures on how I tie in my Kat 750.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
The Condor "pit-stop" chock grabs the front wheel so all you have to do is roll onto it and let go. Makes loading so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Mount some d-rings in the front of the bed, I wouldn't use the side rails for a motorcycle. Here's a thread with pictures on how I tie in my Kat 750.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
I use the side-rails because with the chock I don't have to tighten down the straps much at all. The higher mounting also helps the tie-downs clear most fairings so I don't have to use the grip destroying Canyon-Dancers. It's a lot easier.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

Here is my set up. I'll load up the bike later to show how I secure it.

Modifying truck bed ideas-photo-2-.jpg
Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi kilburn View Post
Here is my set up. I'll load up the bike later to show how I secure it.

Attachment 107790
That's pretty neat! I use one of those Canyon Dancers but only haul the bike twice a year at most. Mine's more of a daily driver so it doesn't spend much time in the bed of the truck
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #12

I'm trying to put together some fuel can holders for the front corners of the bed. Does anyone make a tool box that sit on or around the wheel wells?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
jackassmcpunk is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
jackassmcpunk's Tacoma Gallery
First off, sweet regular cab. We gotta represent.

That's what I did for some extra bed storage. I wasn't the first to do this, but it's the best mod I've done to my truck. I keep all my straps and things in one, and my air compressor and jumper cables in the other.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackassmcpunk View Post
First off, sweet regular cab. We gotta represent.

That's what I did for some extra bed storage. I wasn't the first to do this, but it's the best mod I've done to my truck. I keep all my straps and things in one, and my air compressor and jumper cables in the other.
That's an awesome idea! I'm going to have to grab a few ammo cans and try that out.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
If you use the shorter, but wider 50cal cans they sit just below the bed rails and are slightly less visable.