Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinkin about goin with 35's...

Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
Thinkin about goin with 35's...

Ive been doin some searching on here and I see that some are goin with 4.56's and some 4.88's. Most of my driving is city/highway. I hardly do any off roading (I have an 89 4runner crawler for that) but sometimes I goto the beach or up in the mountains. Im gettin tired of how loud my nitto mud grapplers are and im wanting to get rid of them to get some new tires.

I have a friend that does gears and gave me a smokin price on 4.88's. Im a lil worried about high rpm's on the highway since this truck is our "family" ride when we go out of town somewhere. So which is better to run, 4.56's or 4.88's??

Next thing is, I have the fabtech 6" lift with the coilovers set at the factory setting. It looks like its gonna be a tight fit for the 35's. Is there any trimming involved?? Should I crank the coilovers up some?

Im sure ill have more questions as this thread goes on. Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody huh?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
GPV Helicopters inc
Hellomoto is on a distinguished road
Hellomoto's Tacoma Gallery
I have 35"s on mine with no problems, but I do have 6" lift plus 3" body lift, so I'm not sure how it will work with just 6"
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
GPV Helicopters inc
Hellomoto is on a distinguished road
Hellomoto's Tacoma Gallery
Also no problems with the slightly taller gearing. She runs 1600 rpm @60mph in top
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMe View Post
Ive been doin some searching on here and I see that some are goin with 4.56's and some 4.88's. Most of my driving is city/highway. I hardly do any off roading (I have an 89 4runner crawler for that) but sometimes I goto the beach or up in the mountains. Im gettin tired of how loud my nitto mud grapplers are and im wanting to get rid of them to get some new tires.

I have a friend that does gears and gave me a smokin price on 4.88's. Im a lil worried about high rpm's on the highway since this truck is our "family" ride when we go out of town somewhere. So which is better to run, 4.56's or 4.88's??

Next thing is, I have the fabtech 6" lift with the coilovers set at the factory setting. It looks like its gonna be a tight fit for the 35's. Is there any trimming involved?? Should I crank the coilovers up some?

Im sure ill have more questions as this thread goes on. Thanks guys!
the better question is which can you go with without changing carriers. There is a carrier break in the tacoma and which gearset works with your carrier depends on your stock gearing. If you have 3.73s you will have to go 4.56 or you will need a new carrier/locker to go 4.88. If you have the stock 3.91 you will have to go 4:88 or require a carrier change to go 4.56.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
Well just by lookin at my truck closer I dont think I will be able to fit the 35's. Looks like it will rub the front bumper and other things. I do not want to to a body lift and I cant really crank up my coilovers more. Guess ill stick with the 33's
Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Well just by lookin at my truck closer I dont think I will be able to fit the 35's. Looks like it will rub the front bumper and other things. I do not want to to a body lift and I cant really crank up my coilovers more. Guess ill stick with the 33's
35"s on a 3" lift requires extensive trimming, pounding, and chopping to fit.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It has been done many times.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6" fabtech lift. What all will I have to get rid of to make em fit? This is a daily driver, and doesnt see much offroad use and if it does it isnt anything major i have a crawler for that.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Navy:
Quote:
I have the 6" fabtech lift. What all will I have to get rid of to make em fit? This is a daily driver, and doesnt see much offroad use and if it does it isnt anything major i have a crawler for that.
with a 6" they should fit with some trimming, but not excessive like the 3".