1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help with front brakes squeal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dean, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    dean

dean [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dean
    detroit
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd 4x4 4dr sr5 v-6
    flowmaster duals, westin step bars, k&n filter charger, leer cap
    i have a 2010 tacoma trd 4dr. about a month ago the front brakes started to squeal when the vehicle was about to make a complete stop, since then it started getting worse, the brakes dont squeal when your driving and pressing the pedal, just when your about to make a complete stop. i took it warren toyota and explained. they told me it was normal, and could not duplicate, but they did find a code in the computer for the abs system. as soon as i pulled in my driveway it did it again . i called and told them, they stated it was normal. its extremely loud and the vehicle has 6000 miles on it. they told me to upgrade the pads to ceramic trd. im not paying anything while its under warranty, oh and they also told me to slam on the brakes what is the problem is it the rotors or pads , per the mechanic the rotors are not glazed to anypoint of repair please help before i go back to the dealership and cause a scene thanks

2. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    jamant12

jamant12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma OR DC
    WeatherTech mats, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
    I had a similar issue and took my truck in twice. I have a '11 with only 3,400 on it. I thought the right front brake was squealing. Initially the service dept said that they couldn't duplicate the issue, but on the second visit they said they "adjusted the rear brakes". Whatever they did seems to have worked, because the problem hasn't come back. I think you just have to be insistent on asking them to do their job properly and fix your truck.

3. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    mine have done it since 1k miles..i have 10k miles now. its annoying!
    my previous (07) taco did it too. I swapped to ceramic hawk pads and it still did it.

4. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    I have'nt had this problem except in older vehicles. It might not be the problem, but possibly the pads (or shoes- rear) themselves are glazed. Sometimes if you have cheap pads, hit the breaks really hard or even certain debries gets in them they can become coated. They may still work perfectly fine however the only solution would be to replace them. Aftermarket pads are fairly cheap, even for good ones. It's even possible you would have to have your rotors (or drums- rear) turned to get rid of it completely. With newer vehicles I dont think the rotors are so much of an issue but if Toyota wont honor a warrenty for the pads (under 36,000?!), new ones only rund $50-$70.00. There are other reasons but those are the primary reasons in my experience. Thats all IF the pads themselves havent already been worn down, in which case the tabs could be rubbing meaning it's time to be replaced.

5. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    dean

dean [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dean
    detroit
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd 4x4 4dr sr5 v-6
    flowmaster duals, westin step bars, k&n filter charger, leer cap
    thanks guys, it just started about a month ago. they adjusted the rear shoes and cleared the abs code. its like pulling teeth with these guys and there one of the best dealerships around. i learned by lesson when i took it to hoot mcenherny for its service they used too big of a socked on the lugs and cut right through the paint to the alloy. i was pissed, i filed a complaint with toyota still havent heard a reply. so i should step up too ceramics when the warranty is over. does brembo make a decent drilled rotor because mine look like mirrors right now. its real annoying esp on a new truck and what really threw me for a curve is when they told me it was normal and deal with it. oh well thanks again. another note im only getting 9-11 miles per gallon right now. its been in twice now i have to start writing down the mileage and gallons im getting 200 to 240 miles out of a tank on 87 oct . 50/50 city highway driving . the dealer is stumped . is this normal on a new truck

Products Discussed in

To Top