Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just got back from first offroad trip

Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
SilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
SilverTacoEater's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from first offroad trip

So i just got back from my first offroad trip at Flagpole Knob near Harrisonburg Virginia. I have to say i had a blast. These trucks are extremely capable right out of the box. I went with a couple of friends of mine who had an 11' Silverado, 05 Ram and 06 Ram all with A/T's and i was having no problem keeping up with my stock street tires.

I do have two complaints though. On my ride home i noticed my tranny was acting up a little bit. When I would accelerate on the interstate from say 30 or 35, the tranny would rev to about 2500 - 3000 rpms and sit there for about 3-6 seconds before switching ot the next gear. I was thinking maybe i overheated my tranny on the trail? I drove in D and probably never exceeded 10mph on the trail for the most part. It seems ok now but i feel like maybe its shifting harder than normal now. Is this something i should be worried about?

I also developed a nasty squeek from the rear driver side leaf spring. Maybe just mud in the leaf pack i need to wash out? The truck only has like 3500 miles on it so i feel like i shouldnt be having these problems already. I didnt dog it down the trails or anything. Any incite would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
my transmission does that after every time i wheel. my best gues is that the computer realizes there is an increased load on the truck while wheeling and holds the shift point longer. it continues this on the highway for a little not realizing right away that conditions have changed. that's all that i could come up with. don't worry though, it'll go back to normal.

as for the leafs, with off roading comes swueaky leafs. you can clean them out, but you'll have to do it after every trip to keep them remotely squeak free
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
SilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I just got done washing the Taco and i went underneath and sprayed it out real good. Cured the squeek for now. Im surprised i didnt have more scratches. The Toyota paint is much better than the Honda paint i had on my Si before this truck.
here are a few of the pics. Sorry, I dont know how to embed them.
these dont really show the difficult of the trails. there where some tough uphill spots with running water and large rutts. there was also alot of pretty large rocks as well. Overall a very fun trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-574.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-584.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-591.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-600.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-606.jpg  

Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-610.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-619.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-621.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-627.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-633.jpg  

Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-642.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-651.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-657.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-663.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-673.jpg  

Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-694.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-696.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-703.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-712.jpg   Just got back from first offroad trip-four-wheeling-729.jpg  

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
i might have to check this place out sometime, looks like fun.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Iakopa84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Iakopa84's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man! Does your truck have any kind of package with it?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, she's broke in! Lol. Nice.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakopa84 View Post
Sweet man! Does your truck have any kind of package with it?
Its an SR5 package. Nothing special. Im hoping to get some wheels and A/T's this week.

Yes the place was pretty awesome. It was totally free and there were some pretty tough spots on the trails for stock trucks. Lots of nice hill climbs and plenty of rocks and streams to cross. I'd recommend that place to anyone. Especially a new person to offroading like me. Its tough but not to tough for new people.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
AtomicAge is on a distinguished road

Name: AA
AtomicAge's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be doing this trip with a Jeep friend of mine soon. He was up there a couple weeks ago telling me how we need to plan a camping/wheeling trip. We did another trail in GWNF back on Memorial Day weekend. Loads of fun.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool!

Want to go again in August?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
my transmission does that after every time i wheel. my best gues is that the computer realizes there is an increased load on the truck while wheeling and holds the shift point longer. it continues this on the highway for a little not realizing right away that conditions have changed. that's all that i could come up with. don't worry though, it'll go back to normal.

as for the leafs, with off roading comes swueaky leafs. you can clean them out, but you'll have to do it after every trip to keep them remotely squeak free
Pretty badass pictures, haha I got pretty far in stock dunlops when they still had tread on them .

Anyways, Yeah the transmission is one of those Electronically Controlled Transmissions with "Intelligence" - ECT-i, so it probably did program it's self for when you were out off roading.

And the squeaking is normal, first time I went off roading my truck squeaked like no other afterwards.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #13
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
looks like a good time... nice pics too
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFun View Post
Very cool!

Want to go again in August?

Im definatly down for going again soon. if you decide to plan a trip let me know, we can meet up and hit the trails.