Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prerunner on boat ramp?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
R1inSC is on a distinguished road
R1inSC's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner on boat ramp?

Longtime lurker/information gatherer here.

Let me first thank you all for the wealth of information here.

I've searched but haven't found the answer to my question; Do those of you with '09 and up Prerunners have any difficulty on boat ramps? Specifically the Sport models. Those with Off-Road models, does the locker pull you right out on slippery slopes? Assuming a boat/trailer combo w/in the limits of the tow package.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a pre runner but I assume it depends on the ramp.there is a video of a first gen pre runner falling into the water trying to get his skis out of the water. Depends on how big your boat is as well.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=3FshOpPqj88
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 TRD Offroad PreRunner and have never had a problem at any ramp. I pull a 232 Caravelle Intercepter and a 22ft Pontoon. I'm at Lake Cumberland 90% of the spring summer and fall.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a plain PreRunner and my boat never gives me trouble.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 20.5ft Four Winns Cuddy Cruiser and I never have to put it in 4wd to get it up the ramp. Just take your time and take it easy and you'll be fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Azjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to behold
Marines: 4th force recon.
Name: John
Azjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had a problem 20' triton 3600lbs pull right out ..2010 trd sport prerunner.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
in my step dads truck in 2wd i never had any problems. just acelerate very slowly, do not let the tires spin.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
welcome from moncks corner/goose creek area!

as for the question, you should be ok, but if you need it you can turn on the auto LSD for some added traction.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
R1inSC is on a distinguished road
R1inSC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the welcome from MC.

And thanks for the info fellas. Plan to buy in the next couple of months, just got to figure out what package I want.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1inSC View Post
Thanks for the welcome from MC.

And thanks for the info fellas. Plan to buy in the next couple of months, just got to figure out what package I want.
ahh...you havent bought yet. all of the 09+ come w/ the standard auto LSD, the OR has it and the locker. locker would of course give you the better traction of the two. just depends on the cost/worth to you.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Never a problem pulling my 17'er up any ramps. Nor had issue pulling it up from a beach, or any place else I have launched it. However, boat & traler weigh about 3000#..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled a jetski with one of my friends in an older F150 (which has the shittiest traction of any truck I've ever seen... open diff, worn out street tires, no weight in the bed) and he does fine. I would imagine any of the 2wd Tacos would be fine, just be smart.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
pojo82 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
pojo82's Tacoma Gallery
i have a sport 4x4 and in two years only had to use 4x4 twice pulling 17' fish and ski. once on an unimproved sand landing and another time on a very steep slippery concrete landing. both times i drove the boat up the trailer and the GF pulled the truck out. as soon as the tires strated spinning she put it in 4. im sure if i needed to i could have driven out in 2 just being a little more careful
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Only place that might be sketch is coastal ramps with large tide range at low tide.

Those can get so slippery it's difficult to simply walk on them.

If you have a 5000lb boat / trailer combo under that circumstance, maybe think 4x4.

Otherwise 2wd at the launch should be ok.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Never a problem pulling my 17'er up any ramps. Nor had issue pulling it up from a beach, or any place else I have launched it. However, boat & traler weigh about 3000#..
you sure