Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Access Cab with Roof Rack for a Kayak?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
thwam is on a distinguished road
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
Access Cab with Roof Rack for a Kayak?

New access cab owner here, and am curious as to whether a Yakima (or Thule) roof rack would be sturdy enough to haul a 12' kayak? I'm worried that the access cab doesn't have enough space in between the crossbars like the double cab and would allow the kayak to twist or break off while driving on the interstate.

I've been looking at other options, such as the Thule Xporter, which I really like, but I think I'd get more utility out of a roof rack setup.

BTW, please be gentle, I've never owned a truck before lol. I come from a sports car background.

Thanks for the help!

Todd
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
stratocaster1422 is on a distinguished road
stratocaster1422's Tacoma Gallery
Can you even get roof rack setups for the access cab? There's definitely not enough length to properly tie down a yak like that. On my access cab Dakota I had a Yakima Outdoorsman setup for two yaks (one 9' and one 11' I think). I just got my Taco and looking into seeing how the Outdoorsman can be adapted to working with our bed rail system. You're much better off going up high on the bed.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Thule Xporter on the old 05 AC. Still have them but don't have pics of them on the 08 RC. They are the shit. Will haul any long stuff and 450 lbs of it. My yaks are 12' too..........

BTW, FWIW...some dude on here modified the double cab oem roof rack to fit his access cab. I like it.....here ya go....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-writeup.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ccess-cab.html
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
stratocaster1422 - There are aftermarket racks by Thule and Yakima that use footpads on the roof and are held down with a hook inside the door that work with the access cab. I've seen the OEM rack modified that T@co_Pr3runn3r posted before, but that's getting pricey and I might as well go with the Thule Xporter at that point.

T@co_Pr3runn3r - Your pics are actually the reason why I was looking at the Xporter.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has too. That does look like its the shit and it looks sharp as well. However I did see this the other day. It might work for you.

http://c-tug.ca/index.php
Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Yeah I would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has too. That does look like its the shit and it looks sharp as well. However I did see this the other day. It might work for you.

http://c-tug.ca/index.php
That's nice, but that isn't a trailer. It's so that you can roll your kayak around without carrying it once you get to your destination. Thanks though!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was a trailer of some sort. I am just trying to get into kayaking so very new to this. Sorry about that. However I still would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has. That thing looks awesome. Sorry again and good luck with what you choose.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
maybe rig up a hitch mounted brace to extend your tailgate and support the rest of the kayak... ive seen it done by a guy at my work pretty simple and removable
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
I thought it was a trailer of some sort. I am just trying to get into kayaking so very new to this. Sorry about that. However I still would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has. That thing looks awesome. Sorry again and good luck with what you choose.
No worries! I'm new to kayaking too. I shark fish from the shore and I've been using a $40 inflatable raft from Sports Authority and am tired of taking my life into my own hands everytime I row out 200 yards into shark infested waters lol. My buddies and I have nick named it the death dinghy. A kayak will be a heck of a lot safer, faster, and allow me to take the bait out further into deeper water. Good luck to you too!

Todd
Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians05taco View Post
maybe rig up a hitch mounted brace to extend your tailgate and support the rest of the kayak... ive seen it done by a guy at my work pretty simple and removable
I was looking into that option too, using a Harbor Freight bed extender and a single roof rack like the picture below. I'm trying to avoid putting a roof rack on my cab though, I'm worried about messing up the paint on my new truck.

Todd
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
that concept but sit the kayak in the bed and extend the arm longer from the hitch and then support kayak, then no need for rack
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians05taco View Post
that concept but sit the kayak in the bed and extend the arm longer from the hitch and then support kayak, then no need for rack
I looked into that setup, which is nice for one boat. But not sure about that handling 2 12ft 60lb boats and then having a 6ft bed and stuff hanging out 6ft further, might get some neg rep from da popo..........
Although, when I was 5 minutes from the launch site at my old pad, I did just throw them in the back of the '82 prerunner with the tailgate down a coupla times with them just leashed in the bed with motorcycle tiedowns. I wouldn't go far like that tho, nor would I do any hwy action like that.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
911-3.2 is on a distinguished road

911-3.2's Tacoma Gallery
A 12 ft kayak should be fine in the bed. If you want extra piece of mind get the cheap bed extender from Harbor freight. It only extends beyond the tailgate another foot or so but it is plenty for a kayak that length. As long as you hang a flag off the end you shouldn't get in any trouble with the law.

I transport my 13ft Ocean Kayak that way all the time and I also sometimes put my wife's 12ft in as well. I've transported them both with and without the bed extender, but tend to use the bed extender on longer trips just to have the extra tie down point.

If you do go the roof rack route just make sure to tie the bow and the stern of the kayak down to the front and rear of the truck and you should be fine. The access cab roof is as long as most small cars so it isn't any worse than putting a kayak on top of one of those.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I still have the Xsporters and they'll work on the reg cab just as good as the access cab I had so I'm good. I was talking about before I got them.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
shoot just open up the rear slider and slide it on in no need to tie it down
Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
thwam's Tacoma Gallery
I found a great deal on a Tracrac Tracone with bedrail adapters for $250 from Craigslist and pulled the trigger Saturday. It seems very sturdy, and there is no wind noise or whistling when driving, so I'm happy. It was kind of a pain to put on, as the clamps that slide into the bedrails didn't want to slide over the feet of the rack very easily. There are rubber pads that go underneath the feet, so I suspect some trimming will solve that problem. Overall though, I think it will be a good setup to haul my kayak. Thanks for the help everyone.

Todd